lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-09-2012, 03:14 PM   #1
d-angelo
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 48v DC to 12v DC converter for lights/stereo

bought my first cart. its a 2009 RXV 48V. It has the factory style headlights. I'm not sure if they are factory installed or just put in using factory parts... They are wired to 1 battery. To relieve strain on that 1 battery, I want to pull the light power from the whole pack. So I want to get a 48->12 V converter. I also have future plans of putting in a mild stereo system. So when I buy the dc/dc converter, I want one big enough to do both the lights and a stereo. How many amp system should I get? And if you have any specific ones you've used and like, then I'd like to see some links to those where I can buy. The future stereo would likely only include the cd head unit and 2, maybe 4 speakers. no subs, amplifiers or anything big... What are my options?
d-angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-09-2012, 04:27 PM   #2
d-angelo
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 48v DC to 12v DC converter for lights/stereo

I've been reading some other posts about shortening life of batteries... Thats is why I wanted the dc/dc reducer. Is that a better way to go then getting a seperate 12v battery for lights/radio? at least with that idea, if you killed battery with radio/lights, you could still drive home because the pack is still charged... which is better way to go? dc/dc reducer or a seperate 12v accessory battery?
Old 11-09-2012, 04:39 PM   #3
Bowslayer
Gone Wild
Club Car

I personally like to use a seperate 12 volt battery for lights and accessories. I don't like anything drawing on the pack except driving the cart. You can buy a deep cycle 12 volt battery for what the converter is going to cost you anyway.
Bowslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:39 PM   #4
d-angelo
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I see obvious advantages to both. with reducer, you only have to charge 1 thing and all batteries should still wear evenly, but overall range is reduced. With extra battery, no range loss, but you have to remember and watch 2 sets of batteries for a full charge...
Old 11-10-2012, 04:32 AM   #5
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

I like the extra battery idea. Keeping it charged is just the matter of plugging it in. So when your done driving for the day and you plug in your main pack, just plug in the second pack. I'm assuming you always plug your pack in when your not driving though.
Gonkulor is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO