lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-07-2013, 02:40 PM   #11
as350pilot
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Does such a chart exist?

Actually that package #484 looks awesome!! That is one great price. If I have a series cart and was looking for a controller that would be the ticket.....
as350pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-07-2013, 04:15 PM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLNB View Post
Taking all that into consideration, I wonder why I realized NO increase in speed when I upgraded from a 225 amp controller to a 400 amp controller. I may have noticed a very minute increase in take off, just a slight increase. It seems like I go up inclines about the same speed as before the upgrade. Don't get me wrong, I do get 19mph on this old series cart, but I thought I might get a bit more out of the upgrade. I also put 4ga battery cables in. Guess that is all I can hope for without trading in my motor for an upgrade.
Do the math.
Stock speed on a series cart is 12-14 MPH, so let's split the difference and call it 13MPH.
You are getting 19MPH, or a 6MPH increase in speed.
That is a 46.2% increase in speed and a 46.2% loss in torque.
A stock series controller is 275A and you went to a 400A for a 125A increase or 45.5% increase in Torque (Increasing Amps does not increase speed. only torque)
Net result, you have more speed than stock, but slightly less torque than a stock 36V series cart.

Up the battery pack voltage to 42V or 48V and you will get more speed and torque.
Or back off on the tire height (Or gear ratio) and you will get more torque, but less speed.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyluke View Post
Thanks for the help and MDLNB is exactly what I was worried about. I keep leaning more toward the 500 amp controller, but there seem to be a good amny more people on here including Johnnie that have the 400 and seem more than pleased (with other combinations as well). And per PQ guys, they can do the Bankdit motor in either the Sepex or series and roughly 20% increase in speed and torque.

Johnnie, that is what I was looking for, I thought I had a chart of sorts built to caculate that, but my numbers were off, and not sure where my error was so I deleted it hoping to find something that I did not build to figure it.
My end-game was focused range (aka Run-time) more than speed or torque.
Range is determined by kWh of energy you are carrying with you. (Amp-Hours times Pack voltage = Watt-Hours)
I can carry about 10% more kWh with seven 245AH batteries than I can with six 260AH batteries and the price I paid for seven Exide GC-145 (245AH) batteries sitting next to my cart, was less than what I would have had to pay for six Trojan T-145 (260AH) or Crown CR-260 (260AH) batteries sitting next to my cart. Plus the was no trade in required, so when I get everything put together, I'll have six T-105 batteries with some life left in them to sell or give away.

I'm running stock gears and close to stock height tires (18.3" vs 17.4"), and stock torque is all I need for my travels, so torque wasn't an issue.
There are a couple of 30° inclines that slowed down a stock PDS cart, but I understand the dynamics involved, so it isn't an issue for me.

----------
Something to remember about controllers is that they pass the same maximum number of Amps, regardless of the battery pack voltage.
So with a higher pack voltage, the same size controller delivers more energy to the motor.
400A controller with a 36V pack will deliver 14.4kW
400A controller with a 42V pack will deliver 16.8kW
400A controller with a 48V pack will deliver 19.2kW

---------
No chart or spreadsheet involved, I just used a four function calculator for the numbers in this thread.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:11 PM   #14
cableguy_hd
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

here's my .02 cents... I have a 96 series that I got in '11. Bone stock. Its an asphalt pounder. No off roading or hunting. Batteries were 5 y/o when I got it, not maintained at all. Its lifted for looks and a rear seat for the family. I really have nothing to compare my end result to but what I just mentioned. I purchased from scotty b.... HD FnR- 400 amp NPX- 200amp Solenoid
and went 48v. Couldnt be happier. I didnt plan on going 48v but the more I read I figured it was worth it. I was gonna stay 36v and get a PQ upgrade but wasnt sure if it was worth it.The spm controllers were very new and he hadnt got them yet according to his site. I agree with pilot the 484 looks to be a great deal. Would have got that myself if I had waited. Not sure if this helps but good luck.
cableguy_hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:01 AM   #15
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Do the math.
Up the battery pack voltage to 42V or 48V and you will get more speed and torque.
Or back off on the tire height (Or gear ratio) and you will get more torque, but less speed.
Actually, I am running 48v with stock tires. My controller was a Curtis 225amp and the cart was traveling at 19mph before I changed the controller to a Curtis 400amp. I understand what you are saying about a series cart getting ONLY an increase in torque with the controller upgrade. This is an old cart and I guess I should be happy with the speed I have. My next step is to jack the back up a bit so that I can get my 22 inch tires on the cart. I figure I have enough torque for the street, so I might be able to get another mph with the added tire height in the rear. I am going to keep the stock tires on the front.

Sorry, I did not mean to hijack this thread. I was hoping to provide my limited experience of upgrading my controller. I am in the process of updating the maintenance on this cart, and hopefully that will also give me a slight, very slight improvement in operation. I replaced the tierod end and purchased new front wheel bearings. I couldn't find an AMSOIL 30W so I had a choice of 10w30 and 20w50. I am going to replace my rear end with the 20w50. If that doesn't work out very well, I will try to find the correct oil. I live in Florida so I am not too worried about operation in cold weather. Once I get this thing operating smoothly, I will then start work on the body mods. The wife suggested I purchase a gas cart for me and give her this one. She doesn't want to go fast anyway....
MDLNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:29 AM   #16
sleepyluke
Gone Wild

Don't worry about hijacking anything, your questions are mine as well and the combo effort gets a better answer in the long run for us folks that don't know what we are doing.

And as far as the gas cart, it is another world, and easier world, this is my first electric cart that I have kept and I enjoy the challenge, but the wife enjoys the riding without all the noise so I get to continue to "learn"!

And i think that the more I learn 48 volts may be in my future as well, but when the batteries die, I don't want to lose my bagwell spot and I already have a 12 volt for the accessories, so I am about out of room.
sleepyluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:40 AM   #17
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLNB View Post
Actually, I am running 48v with stock tires. My controller was a Curtis 225amp and the cart was traveling at 19mph before I changed the controller to a Curtis 400amp. I understand what you are saying about a series cart getting ONLY an increase in torque with the controller upgrade. This is an old cart and I guess I should be happy with the speed I have. My next step is to jack the back up a bit so that I can get my 22 inch tires on the cart. I figure I have enough torque for the street, so I might be able to get another mph with the added tire height in the rear. I am going to keep the stock tires on the front.

Sorry, I did not mean to hijack this thread. I was hoping to provide my limited experience of upgrading my controller. I am in the process of updating the maintenance on this cart, and hopefully that will also give me a slight, very slight improvement in operation. I replaced the tierod end and purchased new front wheel bearings. I couldn't find an AMSOIL 30W so I had a choice of 10w30 and 20w50. I am going to replace my rear end with the 20w50. If that doesn't work out very well, I will try to find the correct oil. I live in Florida so I am not too worried about operation in cold weather. Once I get this thing operating smoothly, I will then start work on the body mods. The wife suggested I purchase a gas cart for me and give her this one. She doesn't want to go fast anyway....
I'm not sure what the make and model of your cart is, so I guessed it was an EZGO with tall tires and/or high speed gears.
If the stock tire height is 128", going to a 22" tire increases the tire circumference by 22%, but that will be mitigated by the rear end ratio, so your speed gain will be less than 22%.

In addition, you will lose about the same percentage in torque and it will take more torque to turn the bigger tires, so the speed gain might be in the 1-2 MPH range rather than the 3-4 MPH range.

-----------
My wife is the same way about speed. I may have to "de-tune" my controller to keep her happy.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #18
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

"My wife is the same way about speed. I may have to "de-tune" my controller to keep her happy. "

Tell her to put her lead foot on a diet
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:49 AM   #19
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

"Tell her to put her lead foot on a diet "

I would, but it's uncomfortable sleeping on the couch.

Too bad the DCX doesn't have an externally accessible half speed (reverse) mode that I could turn on when she drives the cart.

Along the same line of thought, the ITS sensor is external, so I might be able to get it to lie to the controller and say the pedal was only partially depressed when it's on the floor.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #20
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I think you are onto something there. Kiddy mode
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO