lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-09-2013, 04:46 PM   #1
TxPowderCoater
Getting Wild

Default would you stay 36 or go 42? my dilemna

I have a marathon, it needs all new batteries.
would you just buy the 36v batteries or is now the time to make a change? isnt 42 just an additional 6volt and still runs on same controller etc ?
TxPowderCoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-09-2013, 08:39 PM   #2
Al210
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: would you stay 36 or go 42? my dilemna

You mean 48 volt right.

Generally more voltage for more speed. You will need a controller and solenoid rated for the higher voltage.
Al210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:48 PM   #3
Ray and Lori's g14
Gone Wild

Club Car

Pretty sure when you step up to 42 volts you will need a new charger and controller, the motor from what I have read on here the motor loves a little extra juice. look at the site sponsors section look for scottyb's carts unlimited everything you need to know is there
Ray and Lori's g14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:58 AM   #4
TxPowderCoater
Getting Wild

Thanks, i will indeed check out scottys site for the upgrade.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:09 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The controller, solenoid and charger have to match the battery pack voltage.

Stock controllers only operate on the voltage they are rated for, but some aftermarket controllers will operate over a voltage range such as 36v to 48V.
Same with the solenoids.

The controller and solenoid I have, will operate at 36V, 42V or 48V.

The battery layout in a Marathon does not provide readily accessible space for a seventh battery like the Medalist and TXT body styles do, so you have to place the seventh (42V) or eighth (48V) battery in the bagwell.
The easiest voltage up grade for a Marathon is to replace the six 6V batteries with six 8V batteries for 48V.

Using 170AH 8V batteries will give you approximately the same run-time as the standard 225AH 6V battery pack.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:39 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If you are looking for more speed and torque then 48v is something to consider when getting new batteries. Six 8v drop right in. You will need a 48v controller and charger.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:54 PM   #7
TxPowderCoater
Getting Wild

Thanks for the advice on the 48, guess I need to see how much the controller and charger will set me back.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:26 AM   #8
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

TxPowderCoater, ask yourself the question.....why are YOU wanting to upgrade? are you wanting mroe Torque in your cart? or more SPEED? or a combonation? I see your cart is a marathon.....but what kind of motor/system is in your cart? and there is a LOT more to the conversion than just putting in different batteries if you want to do it right. controler, solenoid, cables, batters, charger.....it really adds up.

As the sign in speed shops states:

SPEED COST MONEY.....HOW FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO!!
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #9
Jerj7907
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I would do 6 8volt batteries for 48 volts. They will fit where the 6 volts were just usually weigh a bit more. Either way you will have to get a new controller and charger if you want the performance boost. On a side note where would you get a 42 volt charger and was a cart ever stock made with 42 volts? My point is lots more options for 36 volts or 48 volts.
Jerj7907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:22 PM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerj7907 View Post
I would do 6 8volt batteries for 48 volts. They will fit where the 6 volts were just usually weigh a bit more. Either way you will have to get a new controller and charger if you want the performance boost. On a side note where would you get a 42 volt charger and was a cart ever stock made with 42 volts? My point is lots more options for 36 volts or 48 volts.
Western made 42V systems and they were built on an EZGO chassis.
42V chargers are made by Lester, DPI and others.
Here is where I got mine. http://www.cartsunlimited.net/48v_Battery_Charger.html

The options available for 42V is about the same as what is available for 36V and 48V, you just have to verify they will work at 42V. Of coarse, not everything. I'm not sure if 42V halogen bulbs are available, but I've never looked for them and there is always the separate 12V battery for accessories and some of the 12V reducers work with a 42V input.

The DCX and AXE controllers and the Super-duty solenoid I bought, work over a voltage range of 36V to 48V, so 42V isn't a major issue when upgrading a TXT or Medalist since the space for the seventh battery is readily available under the driver seat.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO