lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-24-2013, 01:57 PM   #1
H8R71
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Another battery charging question

Hi folks, I'm new here and look forward to any advice/help you guys can give. About a year ago I acquired a 1996 DS 48 volt. The car had a bad OBC when I got it and was bypassed by the previous owner. The cart was also in need of new batteries as they were approximately 6 year old Trojans and their ride time had noticeably decreased according to the old owner. I used these batteries for the last year and when I would charge them the charger current would drop to zero even with the defective OBC which I assumed meant the batteries were as charged as they were going to get. Four weeks ago I installed a new set of US Battery batteries. I have about 10-15 cycles on them now. Every time I charge the charger current will not drop below 3 amps even after 12 to 16 hours. I just unplugged the charger after a 20 hour charge with the current at 3 amps and bank voltage at 64.8 volts. My question is why will the new batteries not drop all the way to zero amps and short of replacing the OBC how do I ensure I do not overcharge and ruin my new batteries. Also each cycle I do not discharge below 80%. Thanks.
H8R71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-24-2013, 06:59 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Another battery charging question

The charger is designed to shut off at a particular voltage. Yours is bypassed so it's not going to shut off. You will just continue to overcharge your batteries if you leave it on.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:50 PM   #3
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
The charger is designed to shut off at a particular voltage. Yours is bypassed so it's not going to shut off. You will just continue to overcharge your batteries if you leave it on.
^^^^Very true. You mentioned short of installing a new OBC, so here's another route you could go: get a ScottyB charger that is a "smart charger" and has the charging logic built in it instead of mounted on the cart. This eliminates the need for the OBC altogether and will keep your batteries maintained at the proper level of charge without damaging them by overcharging or undercharging. I'll throw this out there just in case: GolfCartKing has the new style upgraded OEM Club Car OBCs for your cart for about $260 with free shipping. Just replaced one for a friend, they're pretty much plug and play and come with great instructions.

Link to the OBC: http://www.golfcartking.com/Club-Car...ter-p/5741.htm

Note: if you go this route check the numbers on your OBC and make sure they check out with the OEM reference numbers of the OBC on the link.
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:51 AM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

A high quality charger will pay for itself in battery cost savings over time! Over and Under Charging greatly reduces battery life.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:14 AM   #5
H8R71
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks for the answers so far! Found this device. Anyone know anything about it? Think it will help in my situation?
http://www.golfcartking.com/ProductD...FYuk4Aod2lUAhA
H8R71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:44 AM   #6
shaffer88
Gone Wild

how about this since your obc is already bypassed. i have one myself and they are great.. i just always hear of people having to reset their obc which sounds like a headache(thankful for my old cart) so keep it bypassed and charge your batteries right. sell your current charger to offset cost.

http://cartsunlimited.net/48v_Battery_Charger.html
shaffer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car