lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-30-2013, 09:28 AM   #1
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Battery acid leakage

Just curious as this can probably happen from time to time and is normal.

I charged my batteries up and for the first time I notice two spots on my concrete floor from acid dripping through the drain holes on the bucket. I looked and it was the two batteries on driver side, (4) 12v batteries. I looked and it seeped out of the factory caps on my U.S. batteries. I know they don't make a perfectly tight seal and the batteries were at proper levels and not over filled. I just have never noticed it doing this before and would like to know what you guy's think.
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-30-2013, 10:30 AM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: Battery acid leakage

you will get a little seepage when charging batteries that are above the fill line , i know you said not over filled , they will bubble while charging .. caps are not air tight to allow gasses to escape , so a little acid will splash on caps and leak out
Old 09-30-2013, 10:54 AM   #3
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
you will get a little seepage when charging batteries that are above the fill line , i know you said not over filled , they will bubble while charging .. caps are not air tight to allow gasses to escape , so a little acid will splash on caps and leak out
I have seen a little acid near the caps in the past charges but never to the point to cause leaking down the side and through the bucket drain holes. Maybe it was a longer charge cycle and those two batteries were fully charged before the other two and from boiling longer caused this, thoughts?
Old 09-30-2013, 10:58 AM   #4
crash test dummy

that's a possibility, i would go check the water levels on all the batteries
Old 09-30-2013, 11:06 AM   #5
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
that's a possibility, i would go check the water levels on all the batteries
I did and all where up to snuff except a couple on the batteries that leaked but was only a cell on each and it wasn't much that was lost.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:20 PM   #6
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Just read the thread below and use the same type of bottle. Maybe it has over filled a couple cells just enough to cause the leakage issue I had.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ll-bottle.html
Old 09-30-2013, 12:57 PM   #7
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by erict View Post
Just read the thread below and use the same type of bottle. Maybe it has over filled a couple cells just enough to cause the leakage issue I had.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ll-bottle.html
yea i read that too ... can not believe it had 40 posts
i use a top to a 2lt pop bottle ans a small flash light
Old 09-30-2013, 03:48 PM   #8
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

As my batteries have gotten older (AKA really old and clearly losing storage capacity); I've had to add water more often - and each time I add, some cells are much lower than others. PLUS a number of the batteries are showing wetness on top after charging, and they never used to.

I have rationalized that its due to uneven battery capacity due to some batteries performing more poorly than their buddies in the pack - so some cells are called upon to take more than their equal share of "pressure" from the charger until the correct pack voltage has been reached.
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:29 PM   #9
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Important thing is to never fill the batteries before charging. Always fill them after charging. The level goes up when you charge.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:29 PM   #10
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I've seen the seals on the caps go bad. You may want to try switching the caps and see if the same ones leak on different batteries.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car