lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-27-2014, 11:29 AM   #21
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Is it my charger or batteries?

Ahhh - I get it. Well be sure to leave your pack charge (even if it takes 16 hours) then when convenient do a 24hr later, rested battery measurement to see where you've arrived.
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-10-2014, 01:43 PM   #22
Rammer
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesam View Post
Ahhh - I get it. Well be sure to leave your pack charge (even if it takes 16 hours) then when convenient do a 24hr later, rested battery measurement to see where you've arrived.
Ok Joesam, and everyone else, got the "good used" battery installed to replace the dead soldier and I still have the same (well, not the exact same, but similar) results. Whereas:

- After a full charge cycle and sitting for about a week, the pack voltage was 49.3 and individual batts were 8.3, 8.2, 8.2, 8.2, 8.0 and 8.0.

- After a full charge cycle and sitting overnight, the pack voltage was 51.3 and individual batts were 8.7, 8.6, 8.6, 8.5, 8.3 and 8.3.

- After a 3.5 hour charge cycle, the pack voltage was 53.6 and individual batts were 9.4, 9.0, 9.1, 9.0, 8.7 and 8.6.

So, basically, voltage decreases the more the cart just sits after a charge cycle, although with the dead soldier out of there, I'm getting better performance even at low voltage and no orange light anymore.

Is there anyway to be exactly sure whether or it's bad batteries not holding a charge or something else causing them to drain? I've disconnected the winch and stereo to make sure they weren't somehow causing a drain, so it's not them. What about the headlights, should I disconnect them although they've never been an issue before. Could there be a bad ground on something (not related to the pack) causing a drain to the pack?

I understand battery life goes at some point and i'm fully prepared to buy new ones, I just don't want to throw out 6 ok batteries if that's not the problem and most especially, don't want to install 6 new batteries and have them ruined by the "something else" I may have going on. Thanks all!!
Rammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:39 PM   #23
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Well you can place a DVM on DC amps (if you have it a 20A setting) between the pack negative post and the negative cable. If there was a big draw there would be some risk in doing that because the amps being drawn could exceed your meter's capability and fry it. More likely (with key off) you'll see no draw, because for my money your batteries are just slowly descending in the charge they are holding. My reason for saying that is the variation after one week (or even one day) between batteries. The way you've listed it, the last two batteries appear to be the weak ones.

I can commiserate - my batteries look like 51 volts after 24 hours - but sag to about 49.4 after a week - and its because my batteries are very old and need replacing. I have no drain on my system....just old/weak batteries that are at end-of-life.

At least your battery light isn't coming on...mine does come on after 14 holes of golf. I can finish the round (its Regen so it just goes slower and slower), and then limps about one block home after a short rest while I drink beer (at about 1/2 to 3/4 speed).

I'm buying new batteries in spring - I suspect you will be also. But you might as well run 'em if your not going far - and wait for good weather to break in a new set.

(Edit) I see your in FLA....weather is always good - so I guess wait 'til your frustrated, then buy a new set!
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:13 PM   #24
Rammer
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesam View Post
I can commiserate - my batteries look like 51 volts after 24 hours - but sag to about 49.4 after a week - and its because my batteries are very old and need replacing. I have no drain on my system....just old/weak batteries that are at end-of-life.
Ya, definitely sounds like you have the exact same problem I do. I'm sure it's just time to replace the batteries - they are indeed old! I just wanted to make sure I didn't have something else going on, so I don't ruin the new ones!
Rammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car