lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-28-2014, 04:38 PM   #1
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default new batteries-- have charger questions- help please

I just installed 6 new 8 volt Trojan batteries in a 03 club car. The cart has a powerdrive charger.

Installed batteries, then plugged in the charger before using. In the morning, the charger was off, so wanted to play 18 holes of golf. After the 17th hole, cart started running out of power. It wouldn't make it up a slight incline. After I got pushed onto level ground, I was able to drive home.

I then plugged the charger in. The charger ran all nite, and never turned off. After 16 hours, I unplugged the cart.

I let the cart sit all day, unused. I then checked voltage, and pack voltage is 51.6. I checked all battery water, all are fine. So the cart is fully charged.

Why would my charger not shut off? I just plugged the charger in again, ( have not used the cart since I unplugged the charger.

When I now plugged it in, the needle went to the right ( between 15 and 20), for about 2 minutes, then went to 10 for about 1 minute, now is hovering between 5 and zero. So this is the proper sequence, and since batteries are charged, I guess that is why I am in the last stage on the charge cycle so quick.

Will my charger shut off soon? I am wondering why the cart ran out of juice after 17 holes?

Any advice?
smokey tennis shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-28-2014, 04:52 PM   #2
sunoco
STEALTH 4X4

Club Car

Default Re: new batteries-- have charger questions- help please

see if the charger does a complete cycle. Load check each battery
sunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:47 PM   #3
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
In the morning, the charger was off
That statement might be the bigger question! - sounds like you didn't get a good/full initial charge. It is surprising that the charger went 16 hours without shutting off though.

Fresh/New batteries can sometimes take much longer to reach full charge than would be considered normal for their first few cycles - its not uncommon. I'd give it one more shot (AKA round of golf) before doing too much troubleshooting.
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:17 PM   #4
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

ok, I will try it. Last time I had a charger do this, ( after installing new batteries), I ended up replacing the obc. I don't know if that was just a coincidence or not, I hope so.

Thanks for responding. It is hovering in the 0-5 range, so hopefully it stops by itself.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:44 PM   #5
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Geez I hope it's not common for new OBC with new batteries. I'm replacing my Batts in spring (if it ever warms up)!
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:13 PM   #6
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesam View Post
Geez I hope it's not common for new OBC with new batteries. I'm replacing my Batts in spring (if it ever warms up)!
You shouldn't have to replace the OBC with new batts.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:13 PM   #7
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Smokey, I would try an OBC reset. That way the OBC starts fresh with the new batteries.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:33 PM   #8
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Speaking of the obc. Does it reset when you remove all the batteries. Or do you have to discharge a capacitor. Is the capacitor in the obc or is it one in the controller?
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:12 PM   #9
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

no, you don't normally have to change the obc,when changing batteries. I was saying that one time, when I installed new batteries in a guys cart, he called me because his charger would not shut off. I ended up replacing the obc, and that took care of that problem.

I hope this time, that this not the problem. I am hoping that maybe the batteries did not fully charge.

I will find out this weekend. thanks for all the input so far!
Old 09-25-2014, 10:14 PM   #10
pwinkelmann
Not Yet Wild

my new bats with power drive went 19 hours before I inplugged. charging voltage at 64 volts. Whats the deal?
pwinkelmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car