lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-09-2014, 12:37 AM   #1
patrickl
Not Yet Wild

Default 95 DS OBC Bypass

I have a 95 DS 48v with the Power Drive Charger. I would like to know if the OBC will still control the battery charger and turn it off when the batteries are fully charged if I bypass the solenoid interlock feature by running a wire from the negative side of the solenoid coil to battery negative.Thanks, Pat
patrickl is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-09-2014, 07:25 AM   #2
patrickl
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 95 DS OBC Bypass

Looks like the answer to my question is Yes. I tried the charger and it turned off when the battery pack became charged. Pat
Old 07-09-2014, 07:27 AM   #3
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Yes it will still work. But it'll run if you try to drive it while charging.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:06 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
Yes it will still work. But it'll run if you try to drive it while charging.
The feature you have bypassed is the safety interlock as David mentioned.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:31 PM   #5
patrickl
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I am aware that it is a safety interlock but the owner of the cart has an intermittent problem. The cart sometimes will not restart and advises that he cannot hear the solenoid click in. I have been unable to make the problem happen so I checked all of the wiring, connections and limit switches in the control circuit. I did find a couple of suspect connections which I have repaired. Bypassing the OBC interlock is just my method of eliminating the possibility of the OBC being the culprit. Assuming the control circuit is OK and the OBC has been bypassed the only other possibility is the solenoid itself. The owner has his cart back so I guess it's a wait and see. Thanks, Pat
Old 07-09-2014, 08:08 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Or an intermittent key or micro switch. How many switches need to make up for the solenoid to click, hmm?
Old 07-10-2014, 04:30 PM   #7
patrickl
Not Yet Wild

I believe that I have checked all of the limit switches - anti-arcing and the accelerator limit switches - and the key switch. In fact I swapped the anti-arcing switch with the reversing switch just to try and eliminate that possible cause. I found a couple of dirty connections which I have attended to. If the cart behaves for a week or so I will remove the OBC bypass. Pat
Old 07-21-2014, 07:14 AM   #8
patrickl
Not Yet Wild

The cart was returned to me with the same intermittent problem. I eventually found the problem to be a burnt contacts on the solenoid. I disassembled the solenoid, cleaned the contacts and returned the cart to the owner with the advice to purchase a new solenoid. Thanks for your help. Pat
Old 07-21-2014, 09:51 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickl View Post
The cart was returned to me with the same intermittent problem. I eventually found the problem to be a burnt contacts on the solenoid. I disassembled the solenoid, cleaned the contacts and returned the cart to the owner with the advice to purchase a new solenoid. Thanks for your help. Pat
Thanks for getting back to us. Do him a favor and recommend an upgraded solenoid
Old 07-22-2014, 06:28 AM   #10
patrickl
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Scottyb. Pat
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car