lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-23-2014, 09:22 PM   #1
Magaracllc
Not Yet Wild

Unhappy Field motor fault

New bearing on motor clean and inspected cart will go forward when jacked up when it's not will barley move. Put cart in reverse jacked up tires jerk for a sec then throws code 3,4 on curtis controller 1268, field wiring fault wires tight on f1 and f2 inspected for damage or burnt they are good . Also replaced speed sensor when motor was cleaned, checked with meter from a1 and f2 no cont motors not shorting I suppose. Tested batteries in forward with load reading 48.5 volts Does any one have any ideas

Field winding fault 1. Motor field wiring loose 2. Motor field wiring open....

Last edited by Magaracllc; 09-23-2014 at 09:28 PM.. Reason: Update
Magaracllc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-24-2014, 07:16 AM   #2
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Default Re: Field motor fault

Take all wiring off of the motor and check for continuity between A1 and A2. Then check from F1 to F2. You should have continuity in both places. If you do, the motor is fine and the controller has failed. If the motor doesn't have continuity in both places, the motor is to blame.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:30 AM   #3
Magaracllc
Not Yet Wild

I have continuity between F1-f2 A1and A2 the local golf cart place has a programmer to plug into the controller would that give me a accurate answer if controller is bad.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:41 PM   #4
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magaracllc View Post
I have continuity between F1-f2 A1and A2 the local golf cart place has a programmer to plug into the controller would that give me a accurate answer if controller is bad.
Only if you know how to read it..... My earlier post will be more beneficial to you than reading fault codes on a scanner. If you've got continuity in both locations like you say you do, the motor will run. Sounds like a controller failure to me. It's throwing a motor code because the motor isn't running, but the motor isn't running because the controller has no output. Unfortunately, the controller won't say "Hey I'm broken, I have no output, replace me" That's why I wanted you to do the motor test, and it passed.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:27 PM   #5
Magaracllc
Not Yet Wild

I figured it would be the controller, thanks for your help, what is a good company that rebuilds controllers?
Old 09-25-2014, 01:25 PM   #6
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

I'll let somebody else answer that. We don't use rebuilt controllers.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:36 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
I'll let somebody else answer that. We don't use rebuilt controllers.
And we don't supply rebuilt controller either... the reasoning is that rebuilt controls are misnamed. They are more honestly just repaired controls. None of the high amp components are replaced if there is a simple circuit board repair needed.

Controller damage is accumulative. So your repaired control still has mostly 10-15 yr old worn components doing the heavy work. Their track record is not that good, but they are good for inexpensive repairs when flipping carts sell on craigslist.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 02:01 PM   #8
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
And we don't supply rebuilt controller either... the reasoning is that rebuilt controls are misnamed. They are more honestly just repaired controls. None of the high amp components are replaced if there is a simple circuit board repair needed.

Controller damage is accumulative. So your repaired control still has mostly 10-15 yr old worn components doing the heavy work. Their track record is not that good, but they are good for inexpensive repairs when flipping carts sell on craigslist.
Very well said my friend.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:19 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
Very well said my friend.
lol - we come from the same school.

I tried these 'rebuilt' controls when I had a repair shop. They came with a 1yr warranty. Which I thought was good until I realized most of them didn't make it to the end of the warranty. I complained that I was out the R&R for the warranty and the distributor told me there was additional R&R insurance I could purchase with the rebuild - was then I knew the high failure rate was expected.

Kinda like if you are buying a new car and the dealer asks if you want to pay for the rental car in advance no...I don't think so
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car