lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-04-2015, 02:35 PM   #1
RKeeper1
Getting Wild

Default Save a battery clarification

So, if I were to get one of these things, I would use my big charger if I did a long day of riding but say I went to the post office and to my father-in-laws and back home in our little town, I'd just plug in the SAB and it'll charge it back up and maintain it there?
RKeeper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-04-2015, 02:55 PM   #2
theboss20
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Smile Re: Save a battery clarification

No...the maintainer is used exclusively for extended absentses as in: There six months and away six months...even a shorter time frame like three weeks would also work. Other that that keep the cart plugged in to the big charger whenever you are not using it.
theboss20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 04:46 PM   #3
55BigBlock
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Save a battery clarification

The key word is maintainer. I only use mine when the cart is fully charged and is not going to be used for 3 days or more. I use the charger when ever the cart is parked.
55BigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 04:49 PM   #4
RKeeper1
Getting Wild

I realize what the word meana. But I've also read other threads on the matter and some use it otherwise. I don't drive the cart every day. Sometimes it's a week or more between small trips. I also posted a thread about my charger turning back on within a few days after a full charge
Old 06-04-2015, 06:39 PM   #5
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKeeper1 View Post
I realize what the word meana. But I've also read other threads on the matter and some use it otherwise. I don't drive the cart every day. Sometimes it's a week or more between small trips. I also posted a thread about my charger turning back on within a few days after a full charge
If your charger is turning back on within a "few" days without any use then it sounds like you have either a battery problem or perhaps a charger problem; given a wild guess I say you have battery or drain issues.... As to useage and charging everyone here who knows anything at all will tell you that when your cart is not in use then plug it in to its charger... Period.... If it is not used for long period of time then a battery maintainer will help keep your batteries in better shape by keeping them at PLUS 100 % SOC... Small battery maintainers should never be used in place of regular chargers for bulk or absorption charging which is needed after any extended or minor use....
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:47 PM   #6
RKeeper1
Getting Wild

My batteries seem fine besides not knowing what they test under load. I dont have the right stuff to test it. But each battery voltage is good. We thought resetting the obc fixed the problem and the charger stayed off for awhile untill I ran it down and charged it again. Then it kicked back on a few days later
Old 06-04-2015, 06:58 PM   #7
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
My batteries seem fine besides not knowing what they test under load. I dont have the right stuff to test it. But each battery voltage is good. We thought resetting the obc fixed the problem and the charger stayed off for awhile untill I ran it down and charged it again. Then it kicked back on a few days later
Are you at least able to watch the voltage so that you can see what your voltage is day in and day out when you are not using it? The OBC is supposed to turn the charger back on either every 14 or 28 days (?)....
Old 06-04-2015, 07:00 PM   #8
RKeeper1
Getting Wild

I have a SOC meter from scottyb hooked up switched. So yes while I'm driving I see what the volta are doing (although the volta are showing a little lower than a multimeter on the pack)
Old 06-04-2015, 07:15 PM   #9
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
I have a SOC meter from scottyb hooked up switched. So yes while I'm driving I see what the volta are doing (although the volta are showing a little lower than a multimeter on the pack)
Yes depending on how you wired your voltage meter it may indeed show a few tenths different.... It would really be helpful if the meter was hooked up to read all the time so that you could see your voltage at anytime. I wired mine straight to the battery with a toggle switch wired so that I could see either pack voltage or reducer voltage. Nevertheless you can wire these little meters straight off the battery as their draw in so infinitesimal that they can be left on all the time without fear of battery drain..... I just went back and read your previous postings to which it really sounds like you have either an OBC issue or charger issue... Keep this in mind its costly to replace either and real costly to replace both; replace the charger with a Smart DPI charger and bypass the OBC and get rid of that worrisome failure waiting the happen called the OBC....
Old 06-04-2015, 07:20 PM   #10
RKeeper1
Getting Wild

I'm getting ready to install a dash and radio and thought about rewiring the meter so it's straight of the pack. We're planning on trading the cart in in a few years so I'm trying to not buy a new charger for it (reason why I was aking about the save a battery). Could you explain how you wired your meter a little more (like where the switch is and how you can read the voltage reducer)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car