lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-05-2016, 08:02 AM   #1
Briar
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Controller Question

After searching through about 100 threads, I figure I need to ask.....

If I upgrade a Precedent to say a 450 or 500 amp controller, does it affect normal driving any? Do I still have "normal" slow speeds and amp draw?
No jerkey starts or abnormal battery drain under "normal" driving conditions?

I know that once I start with rapid take-offs and get past that 250(?) amp mark that I will use the batteries faster.

Thanks, Bob
Briar is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-05-2016, 08:24 AM   #2
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Controller Question

That is correct... I have a 500 amp controller and high HP motor and you absolutely can't tell unless you mash the pedal. Slow speed driving you would not know it is hopped up at all... Keep in mind that controller setting affect how the cart behaves. I believe FSIP set my controller up to be tame on take off so as to not overly strain the components or throw out the back seat riders.
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 08:47 AM   #3
mjroman20
Gone Wild

1268's allow for a lot of control over acceleration time, throttle mapping, regen mapping, etc. If you want it to snap your head back when you take off it can do that, if you wish to accelerate like a little ol' lady it will do that too, and everything in between.

This manual outlines pretty much every parameter and tells you about the effects of raising and lowering each.
http://www.fsip.biz/Documents/1268(06A)MANUAL.pdf
mjroman20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:51 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Alltrax XCT controls offer free user program software with laptop and usb connection.
Plus shift on the fly mode changes that you control. Easy to set up mild to wild performance.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 10:53 AM   #5
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
past that 250(?) amp mark that I will use the batteries faster.
A stock 3.3 HP motor is still going to use 50 amps (2500w). It doesn't matter if it's coming from a 250 or 500 amp controller. So the current draw at cruising speed would be the same. You might draw more current during the time you are accelerating.
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 05:23 PM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Not at all true!!! A 3.3 HP motor is rated that hp but it can generate way more than that if you give it more amps and it will get very hot doing it.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 05:45 PM   #7
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Alltrax XCT controls offer free user program software with laptop and usb connection.
Plus shift on the fly mode changes that you control. Easy to set up mild to wild performance.
If I were to be allowed just one complaint about the 1268 controller I used this would be it. The inability to easily tinker with the programming of the controller... I'd love to have a Jekyll & Hyde switch which I know the 1268 can support but having to have a special programmer is disappointing.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:11 PM   #8
txpres
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by teecro View Post
If I were to be allowed just one complaint about the 1268 controller I used this would be it. The inability to easily tinker with the programming of the controller... I'd love to have a Jekyll & Hyde switch which I know the 1268 can support but having to have a special programmer is disappointing.
I agree. I am lucky that I have access to a programmer. I installed the switch so I can switch from Mode 1 to Mode 2 on the fly.

The 1268 is very adjustable, but only if you have the programmer.

Alltrax is going to generate a lot of sales with it having the ability for the user to program using the free software! If I did not have access to the programmer, I would go with the Alltrax over the 1268.
txpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 06:36 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

With the recent release of the new 'switch on the fly' technology with the same free user programming software - this new generation of Alltrax controls is the best thing being offered.
The free software was always appealing but, the previous version was 15 years old. The new stuff is the leading edge of user programming!
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 06:38 PM   #10
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpres View Post
I agree. I am lucky that I have access to a programmer. I installed the switch so I can switch from Mode 1 to Mode 2 on the fly....
Perhaps I could send you my controller during the winter and have you program in a 2nd mode that can utilize regen braking?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car