lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-26-2017, 11:32 AM   #11
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: After Market Lights

I stand corrected, though this is "Electric EZGO".
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-27-2017, 07:43 AM   #12
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Yurtle you are correct about chassis grounds. Never ever on a sparky but doesn't matter on a gas cart because it uses frame as a ground.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 05:45 PM   #13
Aflyer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks to you all.

The guy picked up a kit it is fused and switched and should be a pretty simple install, now that I am sure I should run the ground all the way back to the battery.

I will probably be doing it one night this week.

Aflyer
Aflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 05:57 PM   #14
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Check for continuity between the negative and light housing, unless they won't be connected to anything on the metal frame.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:46 PM   #15
bumblebeecart
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Gas cart fine. Electric cart, never ever.
At the risk of sounding dumb and for the purpose of learning something new, why not?
bumblebeecart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:30 PM   #16
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebeecart View Post
At the risk of sounding dumb and for the purpose of learning something new, why not?
This gets posted often. I don't don't know if this is an accurate answer or not but in a gas cart, like an automobile the battery is grounded to the frame and 12v stuff is grounded to the frame. In an electric golf cart the battery pack is not grounded to the frame. Please correct me if this is incorrect.

As a side note, I have a trailer for my golf cart and for my pontoon boat. Seems like every year I struggle with the lights going out usually due to a ground connection to the frame getting corroded. Nothing more frustrating than to get ready to go to the lake and when checking the lights finding some out. Several years ago I got tired of this and rewired my trailers to a two wire system grounded back to the vehicle hitch plug and have had zero issues. I guess this saves the mfgrs a few bucks in wires on the trailers.
Rickochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:28 PM   #17
bumblebeecart
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post
This gets posted often. I don't don't know if this is an accurate answer or not but in a gas cart, like an automobile the battery is grounded to the frame and 12v stuff is grounded to the frame. In an electric golf cart the battery pack is not grounded to the frame. Please correct me if this is incorrect.

As a side note, I have a trailer for my golf cart and for my pontoon boat. Seems like every year I struggle with the lights going out usually due to a ground connection to the frame getting corroded. Nothing more frustrating than to get ready to go to the lake and when checking the lights finding some out. Several years ago I got tired of this and rewired my trailers to a two wire system grounded back to the vehicle hitch plug and have had zero issues. I guess this saves the mfgrs a few bucks in wires on the trailers.
OK, makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.
bumblebeecart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:46 PM   #18
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Also in a golf cart, the 12v system is "24v away" from equal to the 36v system used by the solid state controller, if stray 12v stuff were to make connection with the motor controllers 36v system, the 36v controller "logic" system could be ruined, or the 12v stuff could be blown, or worse a total meltdown of the 12v or 36v systems (the 12v system will loose that battle). There is also the possibility of a constant parasitic draw through the unavoidable carbon dust in the motor (which is typically always provided with 36v B+). I was always taught to never frame ground on a electric cart, and have seen plenty of troubles on carts with frame grounds for lights. Hope this wasn't too "dumbed down", or too stupid in general.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:49 PM   #19
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

One reason is that you have a lot of cables, interconnecting the batteries, and going to the FNR and motor. If one gets frayed, it's much safer if the frame is not connected to anything.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:11 AM   #20
Conradconrad
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

A flyer which lights are you putting in?
Conradconrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO