lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-28-2018, 05:51 PM   #11
adog35
Getting Wild

Default Re: 1998 EZ-GO TXT Series 36V Upgrades and Performance Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
I don't have any good specs on the AMD motors, but the description given for the 7122 , it is a "Speed" motor while the 7126 that Sir Nuke has is called a "High-Speed" motor, so I'm pretty sure the 7122 has more torque than the 7126.

If you still have your stock AND motor handy, measure its length as well as the length of the 7122. If they are the same length, the torque loss is roughly proportional to the speed gain. If the 7122 is longer, its torque may be close to stock torque despite the higher speed.

Yes, you have other motor options, but you'd still have a controller that was designed in the 1990's or earlier. An Alltrax SR controller is state of the art and is user programmable, so it would be a much better choice.

---------
The 23" tall tires effectively reduce the available torque by 22%, so you need a motor that has more than stock torque (or at least the same as stock) as well as higher speed.

Yes, I still have the old motor. I will measure both and see what I find.
After this I will likely upgrade to an AllTrax controller.

Do you have a recommendation for the motor?
adog35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-28-2018, 06:32 PM   #12
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by adog35 View Post
Lets say I wanted to start over and replace the Controller and Motor.

What would you recommend?
I feel my Motor choice wasn’t great after the additional research.

Majority of terrain in flat.
for starters, go through Scotty at cartsunlimited.net and get you an Alltrax SR48500 (Item #4 PKG#485) on his site. and upgrade to 48v.....you may find your 7122 may run ok, in not either get a 7126 like mine OR a MOT B1 (if you go to 48v a MOT A1).
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 09:28 PM   #13
adog35
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
for starters, go through Scotty at cartsunlimited.net and get you an Alltrax SR48500 (Item #4 PKG#485) on his site. and upgrade to 48v.....you may find your 7122 may run ok, in not either get a 7126 like mine OR a MOT B1 (if you go to 48v a MOT A1).
Thanks for all the input. I will contact Scotty tomorrow.
I just want to put it out there again to make sure I am not throwing money
at missed issue. Battey, Throttle, Ect.

When I upgraded my controller from OEM to the Curtis 1205 I noticed no difference in any area of performance. Does that seem correct? Give my current
set up.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:58 PM   #14
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Thanks for all the input. I will contact Scotty tomorrow.
I just want to put it out there again to make sure I am not throwing money
at missed issue. Battey, Throttle, Ect.

When I upgraded my controller from OEM to the Curtis 1205 I noticed no difference in any area of performance. Does that seem correct? Give my current
set up.
you are correct.....its the nature of a SERIES cart.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:22 AM   #15
adog35
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
you are correct.....its the nature of a SERIES cart.
Would I be correct in saying the 7122 does not
benefit from a controller upgrade? That the controller
upgrade is more suited towards a motor that makes additional
torque.

I read all this information saying Controllers are suppose to help
provide the motor with additional amperage which in turn allow them to develop torque?

Example being a D&D motor will show +5%TQ on 400 AMP and +15% TQ on 500.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:58 AM   #16
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
torque.

provide the motor with additional amperage which in turn allow them to develop torque?

Not true......the 7122 is a high speed motor. and from what you told us your cart runs faster (21 mph vs 14 mph before) so its doing its job. and the relationship between speed and torque are directly related, especially in a series cart....

IF the amount of torque you want/need isn't enough for you, your options available to you are to upgrade to 48v (which will increase BOTH your torque and speed by 33%) or replace your motor with one that will develop more torque, but you will lose speed.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:41 AM   #17
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
torque.

You did a double whammy to performance... Changed to 23" tires AND changed to a speed motor. Upgrading to a higher current controller by itself cannot compensate because it will take higher voltage to encourage more current to flow.

If you need to keep the larger tires for terrain, then consider changing the rear end gears to reduce torque loss.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:10 AM   #18
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
1. Would I be correct in saying the 7122 does not
benefit from a controller upgrade?

2. That the controller upgrade is more suited towards a motor that makes additional torque. I read all this information saying Controllers are suppose to help provide the motor with additional amperage which in turn allow them to develop torque?

3. Example being a D&D motor will show +5%TQ on 400 AMP and +15% TQ on 500.
1. Not necessarily so. If the controller is inhibiting the performance of the 7122 (or any other make/model motor) then a controller upgrade would be beneficial. The shortcoming of the Curtis 120x family of controllers is that they are factory programmed for a generic group of motors that is centered on a standard speed/torque motor. User programmable controllers such as the Alltrax SR family of series controllers can be tweaked so the various parameters are better suited for the specific motor being used. For example, the acceleration from a standstill can be programmed to emulate a dragster and do a wheelies (if the rest of the drive system can provide the needed torque) or emulate a under-powered luxury sedan and not splash the suds out a red solo cup.

2. The controller is a valve rather than a pump and its function is to limit the amount of amps the motor is allowed to draw. If the motor is capable of drawing more amps than the controller can pass, then a higher amp controller will allow the motor to draw more amps and produce more torque. However, the faster the motor spin, the fewer amps it is capable of drawing, so the torque gain of a higher amp controller primarily exists in lower RPM spectrum.

3. I don't know the source for that information, so I question the percentages given, but it is true that more torque can be realized if the controller is limiting the amps the motor can draw at the specific RPM and voltage applied.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 12:34 PM   #19
adog33
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
1. Not necessarily so. If the controller is inhibiting the performance of the 7122 (or any other make/model motor) then a controller upgrade would be beneficial. The shortcoming of the Curtis 120x family of controllers is that they are factory programmed for a generic group of motors that is centered on a standard speed/torque motor. User programmable controllers such as the Alltrax SR family of series controllers can be tweaked so the various parameters are better suited for the specific motor being used. For example, the acceleration from a standstill can be programmed to emulate a dragster and do a wheelies (if the rest of the drive system can provide the needed torque) or emulate a under-powered luxury sedan and not splash the suds out a red solo cup.

2. The controller is a valve rather than a pump and its function is to limit the amount of amps the motor is allowed to draw. If the motor is capable of drawing more amps than the controller can pass, then a higher amp controller will allow the motor to draw more amps and produce more torque. However, the faster the motor spin, the fewer amps it is capable of drawing, so the torque gain of a higher amp controller primarily exists in lower RPM spectrum.

3. I don't know the source for that information, so I question the percentages given, but it is true that more torque can be realized if the controller is limiting the amps the motor can draw at the specific RPM and voltage applied.

After additional research I found out my Curtis Controller I purchased is not genuine. It's either a clone or did not meet quality standards. I am going to replace it with an AllTrax 500 Amp per the suggestions.

3. Regarding the %'s that info was right from D&D's website
under the Motor/Controller section.

I will still likely go to 48V in the near future, but I want to eliminate any issues
with the controller. Plus like you said, The AllTrax is user programmable and can be better suited for specific motors.
adog33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 12:43 PM   #20
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

adog.....don't forget to go to cartsunlimited.net and talk to scotty here and he will set up the controller for your needs so it will be totally P-N-P for you.....plus get the Pkg 485 and you will get the solenoid you will need as well!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO