lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-19-2018, 08:38 PM   #1
TheFR8Train
Not Yet Wild

Default Yamaha G9 cdi in a G2 cart?

So I have an older G2 Yamaha cart bypassed the governor it runs great ~20mph vs 12-13mph factory setting with 3 people on the cart but from what my understanding is the g2 cdi unit has an internal rev limiter as the cart will pull really hard then feels like spark is completely cut then a couple seconds later it will start pulling again. Has anyone successfully swapped a G9 cdi into a G2?
TheFR8Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-20-2018, 09:56 AM   #2
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G9 cdi in a G2 cart?

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...g9-g8-g14.html

Check post #17.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:09 AM   #3
ferdabutt
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Yeah its not that hard... Just be careful not to burn up your motor and install a tach!
What you have to do is pull up the service manual and look at the two wiring diagrams and match them up from there. Do not quote me and you'll have to verify this but if i remember right
G2: Br=Power (from relay), O=Ignition Coil, R/W=Ignition Coil, W/B= Pulsar, W/R=Pulsar, B=Ground (off SG), R=Oil Light

G9: R/W=Power, W/B=Pulsar, W/R= Pulsar, O=Ignition Coil, B=Ground

Match up the corresponding wires but now you'll notice that there are 2 more wires on the G2, one being the oil light so that is gone and the second being a second coil wire. I can't remember if can use your old ignition coil or if you need one off a G9..... but I am guessing you will need a new one. I did this awhile back to one of my old carts. Its really not worth it IMO unless your coil pack is already burnt up and need a new pack.

Hope this helps and don't blow your motor up!!!
ferdabutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:16 AM   #4
TheFR8Train
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferdabutt View Post
Yeah its not that hard... Just be careful not to burn up your motor and install a tach!
What you have to do is pull up the service manual and look at the two wiring diagrams and match them up from there. Do not quote me and you'll have to verify this but if i remember right
G2: Br=Power (from relay), O=Ignition Coil, R/W=Ignition Coil, W/B= Pulsar, W/R=Pulsar, B=Ground (off SG), R=Oil Light

G9: R/W=Power, W/B=Pulsar, W/R= Pulsar, O=Ignition Coil, B=Ground

Match up the corresponding wires but now you'll notice that there are 2 more wires on the G2, one being the oil light so that is gone and the second being a second coil wire. I can't remember if can use your old ignition coil or if you need one off a G9..... but I am guessing you will need a new one. I did this awhile back to one of my old carts. Its really not worth it IMO unless your coil pack is already burnt up and need a new pack.

Hope this helps and don't blow your motor up!!!
This is good info. Aren't the g2 and g9 motors nearly the same? What keeps the g9's together since they don't have an internal rev limiter?
TheFR8Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:24 AM   #5
ferdabutt
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I believe its just the mechanical governor off the trans.
ferdabutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha