lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-19-2018, 07:42 AM   #11
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Voltage reducer question

And FWIW, I tried the two cart batteries on the memory wire, but that may have lead to the death of my 30 amp reducer. I thought since it had a negative common it would be OK. NOT. Maybe with a relay?
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-19-2018, 08:01 AM   #12
Fegarex
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
And FWIW, I tried the two cart batteries on the memory wire, but that may have lead to the death of my 30 amp reducer. I thought since it had a negative common it would be OK. NOT. Maybe with a relay?
I never really gave that any thought. With the reducer "off" the negative side of it may turn to 36 volts too? I was going to run a dedicated + and - wire for the memory but that may conflict with the switched wire.
Fegarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:45 AM   #13
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
My radio in my sig DOES have a dedicated memory wire, as did every radio I've had since the 70s.
Yurtle, no radio manufactured this century has a dedicated memory wire.

Please read the instructions for your radio, the yellow wire provides all of the power to the radio.

The red wire is just a trigger wire (very low current) to signal the the radio to power ON.

When the radio is OFF, the head unit draws a small amount of current from the same yellow wire to keep the settings.

The auto industry made that change decades ago to reduce the amount of current required for the the ignition switch harness.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:22 AM   #14
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...ZdgKs8N7Jl_KM:

Memory wire keeps all presets. Without it, no memory. What's so hard to understand?
Old 09-19-2018, 09:26 AM   #15
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

OK, you may be right. If I understand you, the "memory" wire is low current, until the radio is turned on? Next time I drop my console, I'll hook up an ammeter to see if you're correct. I may be living in the past?
Old 09-19-2018, 09:27 AM   #16
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...ZdgKs8N7Jl_KM:

Memory wire keeps all presets. Without it, no memory. What's so hard to understand?
Apparently what You cannot understand is that without the "yellow wire" the radio will not power up at all.

Where do You keep reading the words "memory wire"?
Old 09-19-2018, 09:29 AM   #17
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I did do an experiment to prove that my unit can go a few seconds without power, and not lose its memory. A relay can power the radio with a small battery, then switch it to reducer, which will trigger the relay.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:40 AM   #18
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
I did do an experiment to prove that my unit can go a few seconds without power, and not lose its memory. A relay can power the radio with a small battery, then switch it to reducer, which will trigger the relay.
I mentioned the relay on a previous post but did not go in details since it depends on the type of batteries, the radio load (playing loud) and the radio capacity of maintaining the settings during that brief brown-out.

If Your radio has enough capacity to keep settings at your normal operation levels, a SPDT relay would work.

COM - Radio yellow wire.
NO - Converter output.
NC - Battery tap.

The relay coil would be wired with the Radio red wire so the relay turns ON when the converter is ON.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:42 AM   #19
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Apparently what You cannot understand is that without the "yellow wire" the radio will not power up at all.

Where do You keep reading the words "memory wire"?
I acknowledged I'm probably wrong.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:53 AM   #20
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
I acknowledged I'm probably wrong.
It is all good, I did not see your post when I was typing.

This is just a recurring issue since many moons ago radios did work as you mentioned but with all of the high density harness and computerized electronic push button ignitions, manufacturers had to change how they power the radios to prevent problems with modern ignition systems.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO