lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-18-2018, 12:50 PM   #1
MPrimeaux
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default XCT500DCS dropping out momentarily

I purchased an XCT500DCS for my '95 Ezgo Medalist a couple of months ago and have a small issue that I can't put my finger on. Was hoping someone could help steer me in the right direction. Sometimes when I'm driving it, it will just cut out as if I came off of the throttle. All I have to do to get it going is actually come off of the throttle all the way and push it again. It seems to do it at slow speeds and high, but the coming all the way off the pedal and reapplying fixes both...no waiting at all, just simply come off and go right back into it and it works. I've run with the laptop connected and was expecting to see the throttle drop out, but did NOT see that. In fact, the only thing that I see that drops out is the "HPD satisfied" field AFTER the cart has lost power. I sometimes see the shutdown and over current alarms pop up for a split second, but not always and then go away. By a split second I mean you have to be looking at the laptop at just the right time or you will miss it. I have never seen the current readings exceed the set values and my voltage is only dropping to around 33.7 - 33.9 VDC under load and in the 35's while on flat ground at 100% throttle. Another curious thing is that my throttle seems to sit at around 9% while stopped and the solenoid energized. Only goes to 0% if I de-energize the solenoid. Any ideas?
MPrimeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-18-2018, 07:30 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: XCT500DCS dropping out momentarily

Sounds like you are looking at the Toolkit monitor screen while driving. Pretty hard to catch momentary occurrences that way. It's better to record the data log, save it on the computer and review it later. Also, not all of the parameters captured in the data log are shown on the real time monitor screen.

To record a data log, go the the side of the monitor screen and tell it where to save the file. You have to "Start" the recording and then "Stop" it or the file is not saved. (See attached screen capture)

Select the "Continuous" sampling rate. That will generate about 3 to 5 parameter lines (40 columns of data) per second, which is usually often enough to capture most short term events.

The saved file will be in .csv (comma separated values), which cannot be attached to a BGW post, but if you zip the file the resulting .zip file can be attached. Post the .zip file here and I'll take a look at if you want. I put it in a spreadsheet and crunch the numbers a bit so they talk to me.

-------------
As for 9% throttle when stopped and solenoid energized.

The pedal has to be pressed slightly to energize solenoid and there ought to be a little dead space at top of pedal travel, so the plunger in the throttle box might be out of adjustment mechanically. However, auto-cal might take care of that. Delete current auto-cal. (See second attachment.)

--------
This is more speculation than anything else, but a momentary interruption of the voltage on Pin-5 (from pedal switch) will cause the symptoms you're having.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Monitor Tab - data logging circled.jpg (183.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Clear Throttle Auto-Cal.jpg (53.0 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 09:15 PM   #3
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

I would think that you would need to lose power to the controller to get a HPD error. Like in turning the key sw off and on. Most if not all intermittent problems are caused by bad connections. I would start by cleaning all electrical connections that I could get at especially at the controller. Use CRC Cleaner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 41Xwlgn18sL.jpg (22.8 KB, 0 views)
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:00 AM   #4
MPrimeaux
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Sounds like you are looking at the Toolkit monitor screen while driving. Pretty hard to catch momentary occurrences that way. It's better to record the data log, save it on the computer and review it later. Also, not all of the parameters captured in the data log are shown on the real time monitor screen.

To record a data log, go the the side of the monitor screen and tell it where to save the file. You have to "Start" the recording and then "Stop" it or the file is not saved. (See attached screen capture)

Select the "Continuous" sampling rate. That will generate about 3 to 5 parameter lines (40 columns of data) per second, which is usually often enough to capture most short term events.

The saved file will be in .csv (comma separated values), which cannot be attached to a BGW post, but if you zip the file the resulting .zip file can be attached. Post the .zip file here and I'll take a look at if you want. I put it in a spreadsheet and crunch the numbers a bit so they talk to me.

-------------
As for 9% throttle when stopped and solenoid energized.

The pedal has to be pressed slightly to energize solenoid and there ought to be a little dead space at top of pedal travel, so the plunger in the throttle box might be out of adjustment mechanically. However, auto-cal might take care of that. Delete current auto-cal. (See second attachment.)

--------
This is more speculation than anything else, but a momentary interruption of the voltage on Pin-5 (from pedal switch) will cause the symptoms you're having.
Thanks JohnnyB, I will get this as soon as I can. I have a Mac and the software is on my daughter's computer. I will have to wait for her to get home. Also, thanks for the "how to" on saving the log. I tried to do that yesterday and didn't have any luck. One question about that. I read the manual and do I have to choose a location to save that data before I press start? I tried to save several data files and only ended up with 2 in the data folder. I may have forgotten to press stop, but I tried so many things that I got a little frustrated.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:11 AM   #5
MPrimeaux
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post
I would think that you would need to lose power to the controller to get a HPD error. Like in turning the key sw off and on. Most if not all intermittent problems are caused by bad connections. I would start by cleaning all electrical connections that I could get at especially at the controller. Use CRC Cleaner.
Thanks for your input Walter. I will double check connections. I just got this cart together a few weeks ago and went down to the frame. All connections are new, I used EJC on all connections, the I don't anyswitches dropping out on the laptop, but maybe it's just that momentary. I'm an electrician by trade and I was careful with the connections, but I think that would explain things though. Momentary loss of the pedal micro switch would de-energize the solenoid and with my foot already on the pedal, the key switch on, and the F/R switch in F.... would immediately put it into the high pedal state. Actually, now that I think about that... I had a problem early on that ScottyB helped me with that ended up being a bad connection in the foot pedal plug. I replaced the plug with another 3 pin automotive connector. I'll check it again. Thanks! I'll let you know.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:40 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPrimeaux View Post
Thanks JohnnyB, I will get this as soon as I can. I have a Mac and the software is on my daughter's computer. I will have to wait for her to get home. Also, thanks for the "how to" on saving the log. I tried to do that yesterday and didn't have any luck. One question about that. I read the manual and do I have to choose a location to save that data before I press start? I tried to save several data files and only ended up with 2 in the data folder. I may have forgotten to press stop, but I tried so many things that I got a little frustrated.
Yes, the location to save the file to has to be chosen before you press start. If you don't, it defaults to saving a .csv file named "monitor" to the root directory. And you have to press Stop to save the data file.

I created a folder called "XCT data logs"on my laptop's C: drive, then browsed to it on the Toolkit monitor screen, and then added some numbers and letters to the monitor file it was going to create. Only see the first part is shown on the attached screen capture, but the whole name of the file to be created and saved in this instance is "C:/XCT data logs/Monitor-16-05-23 Bat chg.csv".

Connect computer to XCT via USB cable. (The XCT powers up when you connect the computer to it.)
Open toolkit on computer and go to Monitor window.
Choose location and name for data log file.
Press Save to start recording.
Drive cart. (I manipulate key switch and/or F/R switch to mark events I want to identify, for example, starting on a hill. )
After finished with test drive, press Stop to close and save file.
Close toolkit.
Disconnect computer from XCT.
Review data log.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Monitor Tab - Top.jpg (176.2 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:33 AM   #7
MPrimeaux
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Yes, the location to save the file to has to be chosen before you press start. If you don't, it defaults to saving a .csv file named "monitor" to the root directory. And you have to press Stop to save the data file.

I created a folder called "XCT data logs"on my laptop's C: drive, then browsed to it on the Toolkit monitor screen, and then added some numbers and letters to the monitor file it was going to create. Only see the first part is shown on the attached screen capture, but the whole name of the file to be created and saved in this instance is "C:/XCT data logs/Monitor-16-05-23 Bat chg.csv".

Connect computer to XCT via USB cable. (The XCT powers up when you connect the computer to it.)
Open toolkit on computer and go to Monitor window.
Choose location and name for data log file.
Press Save to start recording.
Drive cart. (I manipulate key switch and/or F/R switch to mark events I want to identify, for example, starting on a hill. )
After finished with test drive, press Stop to close and save file.
Close toolkit.
Disconnect computer from XCT.
Review data log.
Big help JohnnyB. Thanks brother. Leaving for a camping trip today. I'll connect lap top at the campground and play with it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO