lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-13-2020, 08:31 AM   #11
Kirylaufer
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Powerdrive charger

It looks like a job in service manual, but is it worth it to troubleshoot the controller if cart parked running and went bad upon re-wiring instead of "breaking". Will the troubleshooting be able to tell me specifics or just areas to investigate.
Thanks guys
Potbox is mcor4 now and sand is sticking to vasoline on battery terminals
Help and many thanks guys
Kirylaufer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-13-2020, 09:04 AM   #12
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Not sure of the year of your cart (Series or IQ), but to Bypass the OBC for testing, generally requires that the Black 10g wire from the back of the charge receptacle AND the Gray 14g wire be ran down to the Main Pack Negative post (it is the only negative post with a cable running to the back of the cart). This should trigger your charger to operate, but it will be a temporary means as you will need to purchase a smart charger or replace your OBC. To permanently Bypass it there are a few more steps that are performed based on the type cart you have.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:37 AM   #13
Kirylaufer
Gone Wild
Club Car

Thank you . It's a series w ge. Thank you. it saves so much time and effort to ask. I'm planning on using this charger, which is now also bypassed on the cart. Can the cart be set up to let me charge permanently wthout charger bypassed. I was gonna put a one time timer on charger that does up to 8 hrs) only 45 min .afterafter1/4 mile etc to plug and go. Most important, can charger fry in reverse if off a little or does it just stop like rest of cart
Thanks for helping
Old 01-13-2020, 09:41 AM   #14
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

If you are going to use the factory Powerdrive charger, you will have to replace that OBC. The charger is just a big AC->DC transformer (Buzz Box) and will not properly charge, cut on or cut off without the OBC. It will greatly shorten the life of your batteries and get very expensive over time.

Yes, it must remain bypassed to work until you replace the OBC or get a smart charger.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:09 AM   #15
Kirylaufer
Gone Wild
Club Car

. Man I'm gonna mope outside for awhile. I loved that powerdrive 3. I was hoping it was just reassembling factory stuff I can't remember undoing. Thanks a million for quick responses. And I'll try to figure it out today. Thank you
Old 01-13-2020, 03:49 PM   #16
Kirylaufer
Gone Wild
Club Car

I figured out that I was grounding the big black wire from the computer instead of the grey wire. I fixed it and I'm per instructions.
Starting at the shifter I've got about 5" of wire ,then the fuse then a wire to battery six. I thought this was right and it only started when I touched it. And last night the 15 black widow spike balls I couldn't quite get out of my cart at all hatched. It looks like moving pepper all over cart. A few momma's too. Help
Thanks a lot
Old 01-13-2020, 03:55 PM   #17
Kirylaufer
Gone Wild
Club Car

Sorry. Got lost. Cart clicks but will not move. When I have the yellow wire on the solenoid from computer it does nothing.. Put on bypass and it clicks strong. Should I go through service manual and test or is there good things to check for it not running after touching only bypass wires.
Thanks

Last edited by Kirylaufer; 01-13-2020 at 04:02 PM.. Reason: Forgot half sentence
Old 01-13-2020, 08:49 PM   #18
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

It the solenoid is clicking (closing) but cart not moving, you need to verify the voltage,current is crossing the solenoid. After that, if there is still a problem I would use the manual to troubleshoot and let us know what you are finding if you need help.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:00 AM   #19
Kirylaufer
Gone Wild
Club Car

Ok. thank you very much. Due to mechanical inadequacies I try to not touch anything unless it's advised. I admit my choice of an electric cart was very optimistic of my skills. I'll check voltage is crossing and then I'll troubleshoot per manual on the controller. I learned how a sticky works last night,( third time this week I've said it) and apologize for wire routing questions. It's all there. Thanks again and I'll post results. Thanks and happy Tuesday everyone.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:56 AM   #20
Dragracer_Art
Gone Wild

Club Car

FWIW...
The Powerdrive charger can be bypassed internally to eliminate the OBC... but it will never shut off and you can overcharge the batteries.

Just thought Id mention it... since its a quick easy temporary fix if needed.
Dragracer_Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car