lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-12-2020, 04:57 PM   #1
Mikefili
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default What am I missing?

Please understand this question is not in any way meant to start world war 3.
I have a 3 year old lifted street legal Precedent. I purchased @ battery cart because that’s what everyone seems to have. When shopping I test drove a gas model but was talked out of it by the dealer, too noisy, smelly, and not “green”
My wife agreed with him and a few days later I was the proud owner of a 19 mph car. I could not take 19 mph and dealer swapped out motor motor to a D&D high speed unit, a little faster25 or so. As I now own this cart 3 years almost to the day. Why not gas I ask. Unlimited range, much faster speed, no battery issues such as unbalanced, do not run batteries down too much etc. it just seems that gas is the answer to all the battery problems, as I read the forums there is a never ending struggle with battery carts. Not to mention I just replaced my Trojan batteries I week ago exactly 3 years in service. It would seem that I would never consider a battery cart again. Possibly golf courses have an issue with gasoline? I only street use my cart.
Mikefili is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-12-2020, 06:23 PM   #2
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Default Re: What am I missing?

You might as well forget a gas cart. Your wife has done told you you can't have one.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 07:40 PM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Only three years from a set of Trojan batteries, there’s something wrong with your maintenance or charging practices, or you are running them well below 50% charge level which significantly shortens their lifespan.

If you only ever street drive it, and don’t go in any campgrounds or other areas where they may be prohibited, a gas cart probably makes more sense for your usage.

Personally I don’t think any of the modern gas carts are “too loud” or “smelly”.

I don’t entirely trust the new EFI systems, but failures seems to be no more common than problems with controllers or other electronics on electric carts. The EFI carts just a lot more expensive to fix if the EFI system fails. That wouldn’t stop me from buying one, as there are plenty of options in the aftermarket for standalone EFI systems if you look around enough.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 07:51 AM   #4
Mikefili
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Only three years from a set of Trojan batteries, there’s something wrong with your maintenance or charging practices, or you are running them well below 50% charge level which significantly shortens their lifespan.

If you only ever street drive it, and don’t go in any campgrounds or other areas where they may be prohibited, a gas cart probably makes more sense for your usage.

Personally I don’t think any of the modern gas carts are “too loud” or “smelly”.

I don’t entirely trust the new EFI systems, but failures seems to be no more common than problems with controllers or other electronics on electric carts. The EFI carts just a lot more expensive to fix if the EFI system fails. That wouldn’t stop me from buying one, as there are plenty of options in the aftermarket for standalone EFI systems if you look around enough.

Thank you so much for your response, do courses allow gasoline carts?
Old 01-13-2020, 09:07 AM   #5
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefili View Post
Thank you so much for your response, do courses allow gasoline carts?

Yes, they should. I prefer electric personally. Quieter, easier maintenance, no smells, and much easier to work on.
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 06:26 PM   #6
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

If you're having 3 year battery life and issues with voltage imbalances, there's something wrong. It's possible you have a 16-12 volt reducer powering your accessories from two batteries. This will cause an imbalance and shorten battery life for sure. There are 48 volt to 12 volt converters available that will remedy this issue. I could go on and on about gas vs electric. Everybody has their own opinions and both vehicles have their place. Personally, I much prefer electric.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 07:23 PM   #7
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

I have both. I used to think gas was the only way until I got an electric cart.

Noise and smell has never been a problem with the gas carts. To me the biggest problem with gas carts is they can be quirky about starting. Seems they don't like to sit any length of time not being run. The worst part is the fuel nowadays. I can get ethanol free fuel, but it's a PITA. And some people just don't understand the concept of a choke.

But, if I lived in a golf cart community I would have at least one gas cart because it could be driven all day and night.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:15 AM   #8
Mikefili
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf View Post
You might as well forget a gas cart. Your wife has done told you you can't have one.
guess your right
Old 01-16-2020, 09:10 AM   #9
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
I have both. I used to think gas was the only way until I got an electric cart.

Noise and smell has never been a problem with the gas carts. To me the biggest problem with gas carts is they can be quirky about starting. Seems they don't like to sit any length of time not being run. The worst part is the fuel nowadays. I can get ethanol free fuel, but it's a PITA. And some people just don't understand the concept of a choke.

But, if I lived in a golf cart community I would have at least one gas cart because it could be driven all day and night.
I too have a few of both cart types (I like golf carts, ok?). It's like anything else. There are pros and cons to each system. The best type of cart to get is mostly predicated on how it will be used.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 03:20 PM   #10
S-N-R Customs
Gone Wild

I have one of each... I prefer the quiet of my electric and when we travel some places only allow electric. If I’m going for a long ride then I take the gas cart.. only other advantage I can think of is I’m running lithium setup, so the mini Jeep only weighs 387 pounds. My gas caddy is way heavier. (That matters to me when I’m towing.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
S-N-R Customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car