lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-01-2022, 12:00 PM   #11
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: bearing noise in rear of 95 ds electric when coasting how to diagnose and fix?

You can't tell from looking at the outside of the motor.
If you want to order parts prior to taking it apart then the best thing you could do is order a new motor.
The couplers are not replaceable, or at least not very easily, so generally if that's what is causing the noise you would replace the whole motor.
If the input shaft to the axle is worn as well, then putting a new motor on will likely leave you with the same noise. But there are some ways that can help reduce the chances of recurring noises due to input spline wear.
The only way to know what needs to be replaced or what you should buy, is remove the motor and look.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-02-2022, 12:20 PM   #12
Ottawaphil
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: bearing noise in rear of 95 ds electric when coasting how to diagnose and fix?

ok i finally took the motor out to look. here is a picture
.what am i looking for to diagnose the noise? need more pics? if so, of what part?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220702_131441.jpg (200.2 KB, 0 views)
Ottawaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 01:27 PM   #13
Ottawaphil
Not Yet Wild

axle side
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220702_132603.jpg (238.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-02-2022, 07:35 PM   #14
DaveMJ
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawaphil View Post
ok i finally took the motor out to look. here is a picture
.what am i looking for to diagnose the noise? need more pics? if so, of what part?
Motor splines look work, maybe clean it up and post another photo looking directly into the coupler.

Splines should be well defined and even, just like the mating shaft.
DaveMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 08:19 PM   #15
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Yup, that’s a guide ring motor. The snap ring in the end comes out and there’s a plastic guide in there the first about 3/4” of the splines. That can be chipped/pried out and replaced with a new guide ring. Use Blue lock-tite around the outer edge to glue the new one in place. The splines have to be lined up perfectly when the new one is put in or else the motor won’t go back on the input shaft.
It would also be a good idea while it’s out to replace the bearing that’s on the other end and clean up the brush holders. If the brushes are significantly worn those should be replaced as well, but you’ll need to make sure the commutator bars are perfectly smooth if you replace the brushes. If the comm is grooved or uneven it would need to be re-finished or else it will eat the new brushes to pieces.
Old 07-03-2022, 10:43 AM   #16
Ottawaphil
Not Yet Wild

thanks for your help!
do you have a link or part number for the plastic ring and brushes? thanks!
Old 07-03-2022, 10:48 AM   #17
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Call David Hicks at Revolution Golf Cars and he should be able to get you the right stuff for that motor.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car