lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-14-2010, 02:26 PM   #1
hunterboo
Not Yet Wild

Default 1986 e-z go with no power

I am working on a 1986 e-zgo with 2 cycle motor. When I received it it would not pull a hill, so I done a compression check and it was 30. I dis assembled motor and had jug bored and installed new piston and rings. I now have 115 pounds of compression and has same problem. It has new carb. What am I missing. ohhh it backfires after running rpms up on jackstands and the next initial start up it backfires.

Any suggestions out there???
hunterboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-14-2010, 07:55 PM   #2
rcbipeflyer
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1986 e-z go with no power

I'm assuming it's backfiring through the exhaust? Sounds like it could be a timing issue. Does it start easily but backfires? Are you sure the piston was installed correctly when you did the rebuild. Compression sounds good.
rcbipeflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:23 PM   #3
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

Welcome to BGW!! After you check that timing hunterboo pull your exhaust and make sure it doesnt have a blockage. The engine may not be able to breathe. Not real quick on these 2 smokers but I have come across quite a few threads where 2 stroke mufflers got clogged up with excessive gummy deposits from the gas mix. If you do find a blockage there is a muffler BBQ thread that will help you... Good Luck
ez go go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 12:17 PM   #4
hunterboo
Not Yet Wild

I pulled exhaust and cut in half and cleaned it out and welded it back together, still didnt change the way it was running. it only backfires after coasting down hill and starting again. I also pulled fuel line off carb it has little pressure and it wont blow my finger off end of line. It is a new fuel pump.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:31 PM   #5
hunterboo
Not Yet Wild

I pulled motor back down and i may have installed piston 180 degrees out. I had piston in with the port towards the exhaust outlet. But now I dont think that was right.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:38 PM   #6
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

There is a thread on this somewhere... Do a thread search and see what you come up with... This was recent that I saw a thread where somebody's doin a 2 stroke overhaul and the post actually reminded the individual about the piston orientation.. Check it out!!
ez go go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:06 PM   #7
Glenn Herlong
Not Yet Wild

try adjusting the throttle linkage at the carburetor. If it is out of adjustment, it is still dumping fuel in the cylinder after throttle has been released. (just a little out will cause this) When you get back on the gas it causes the backfire.

I'm not sure I am explaining it exactly right, but my 86 marathon was doing the same thing and after "playing" with the adjustment it stopped backfiring.

Hope this helps.
Glenn Herlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:25 PM   #8
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

The hole in the piston should be opposite the exhaust port.
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO