lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-15-2010, 02:47 PM   #11
bboyter
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 1989 ez go electric won't go!!!!

sure thing. Let me know if there is something else that I need to take a pic of.

bboyter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-15-2010, 03:13 PM   #12
bboyter
Getting Wild

Yamaha

i hear the micro switch but dont think i hear solenoid
Old 08-15-2010, 03:18 PM   #13
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

That is a big honking solenoid for a resistor cart.....
First I paste a short over view of how the solenoid works and you tell us if the 'activation circuit' is working or not when you put it in gear and press the gas...... any testing should be done on jack-stands....

A quick overview of the solenoid is :
The solenoid is a HD on/off switch or Contactor
the connection is made /broken between the 2 large terminals. The 2 small terminals are the activation circuit. typically one terminal will have a constant negative connection to the pack. When Positive power is applied to the second terminal the contact is drawn up against the spring to make contact. When power from either side of the activation circuit is removed then contact is released and the spring pushes it away interrupting the circuit ...It doesn't matter which terminal is neg or pos.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 03:31 PM   #14
bboyter
Getting Wild

Yamaha

THis is why i stick to gas carts....LOL...

Ok I dont hear the solenoid doing anything. I will say that when everything was taken apart it ran. When I hooked everything back up I noticed the diode broken. So with this being said I need to purchase a solenoid? I dont know of a fuse that could be blown making this happen. Is there any way to test the solenoid before buying another one?
Old 08-15-2010, 03:43 PM   #15
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The stuff in the blue type above tells you how it works so you can test it and see ........ okay never mind how it works just find an extra battery cable and connect it to the 2 large solenoid terminals and tests the cart. Does it go? (Gas mechanics )
Old 08-15-2010, 03:50 PM   #16
bboyter
Getting Wild

Yamaha

LOL i know......So took an extra cable jumped the two large lugs on the solenoid and yes the wheels start spinning.....so what next.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:55 PM   #17
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Remove the big terminal jumper & Read the blue type
The small terminals need 1 pos & 1 neg to make the solenoid click..... check and see if neg is already there on one? If so bring POS to the other with a jumper and see if solenoid engages(clicks) If yes check your micro switch connections etc, I gotta go... back in an hour or so.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:27 PM   #18
bboyter
Getting Wild

Yamaha

I am happy I have found your knowledge. Here is what I have. On one side of the small lugs of the solenoid I have a yellow wire from the on off key switch. The other side of the small terminal I have a black wire coming from the micro switch that is located on the board. I am a little confused because the microswitch on the board on the opposite side has a red wire assuming hot. So it the black the hot and the yellow the ground? I jumped the yellow to a + and a - but heard nothing. Am I jumping it correctly how you would want to diagnose? Activation circuit doesnt seem to be working but before I spend 70 bucks on new solenoid I wait to hear from the master. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:45 PM   #19
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I can't remember which one is positive.... With the voltmeter on the 2 small terminals you should hve 36v (or pack voltage) when the gas peddle is pushed, key on, in gear. If not the activation circuit is incomplete.......
Old 08-15-2010, 06:13 PM   #20
bboyter
Getting Wild

Yamaha

ok with volt meter across the small terminals when I press the gas with switch on I get nothing.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO