lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-14-2011, 10:39 AM   #1
SKUNKVILLE SCOOTER
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Resistor cart on the cheap

I gave up on trying to get a charge on the batteries in my '89 Marathon and it took all afternoon to get them out of the cart, (seems they were incrusted in a decade or two of mud & whatever). Cables are junk and I'm going to replace them. But I can't see upgrading just the one connecting the batteries and not those to the motor, resistors, accelerator assembly, etc....

I found the accelerator contacts to be worn and feel I might need to replace for reliable operation. Not sure if these parts can be found or their price.

The cart will be used to ride around the ranch and plans are to add a utility bed on the back & maybe a tire change.

What is envolved with changing the controller. Is there a complete kit or will I have to fab something to connect to current GO PEDAL...?

Any input is appreciated, as I know less about carts everyday.

Thanks.
Danny aka: SKUNKVILLE SCOOTER
SKUNKVILLE SCOOTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-14-2011, 02:21 PM   #2
SKUNKVILLE SCOOTER
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Resistor cart on the cheap

I think I got the photo uploaded of the accelerator contacts and would like to know if this is normal wear or normal worn-out needing replacement before I go any further...??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020316.jpg (188.9 KB, 42 views)
Old 06-14-2011, 03:51 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You got the last resistor cart made.
That looks pretty typical ~ I wouldn't say normal because they are supposed to be clean and smooth.
Honestly. It's just a crappy system. I's 1950s technology borrowed from a toaster oven.

It works. But so does cutting firewood with a big rock.

Solid state speed control is not that hard to install, it does cost a little bit but it's worth the difference IMHO.

Here is what the speed wiper looks like when they get bad. You could probably clean your up with some sand paper...... try to keep them FLAT.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3298.jpg (164.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3301.jpg (107.6 KB, 22 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:55 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I pulled that board out of an OLD Ezgo Western. They lived on a big hill and we put 2 boards in it in 3 yrs.
So I converted it to solid state. Now no problems
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4644.jpg (182.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4647.jpg (200.3 KB, 29 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:07 PM   #5
SKUNKVILLE SCOOTER
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post

It works. But so does cutting firewood with a big rock.

Solid state speed control is not that hard to install, it does cost a little bit but it's worth the difference IMHO.
Well Scotty, how does one connect a solid state unit to the linkage on my GO PEDAL...? I'm not looking to build a Hot Rod, just a ranch buggy with a few upgrades, (tires, utility box, lights & radio)....

I'd come visit ya, but the last time I was in your neighborhood I was haulin' turkeys from the ranches around Temecula. That was 50 years ago.

Your input is appreciated.

Thanks.
Danny aka: SKUNKVILLE SCOOTER
Old 06-15-2011, 12:59 AM   #6
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: Resistor cart on the cheap

I have done a few also. They are a little time consuming and you need to look at where you want things to go and how the batteries will sit.
I put this one in a 1990 E-Z-GO and layede it down flat. Drilled holes to mount the components.

After the second B/U Bonanza and several inches of mud I turned it up to keep it out of the mud and water.

I went and bought some all thread rod and cut it to the right length. This was the stock rod.
You will need all the components off a controller cart that you can. Linakage wise for this mod it will be very helpful in the long run.

Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO