lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-06-2012, 04:22 PM   #11
juzplanekrazy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Here I go on the 1985 EZGO Rehab.

There yours for cost of shipping, may be better to buy them close buy you, not sure.
But you can sure have them.
juzplanekrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-08-2012, 05:28 PM   #12
kmartz
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Here is my rebuild. Hope it helps. The controller, solenoid, and potbox locale were a thinking challenge. Scottyb sells a drop in conversion kit for just this kind of modification. Look for his web page as a site sponsor. He will be a good resource to start with. Then the rest of the crew here can contribute. The only thing not shown is a reversing contactor instead of a hd fw/rv switch. I installed it a few months after I posted these pics and just never went back to include additional pics. I do some extreme long climbs and chose this avenue. You will have to talk with Scotty and figure out what will work for you. Hope this helps.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...uild-pics.html
kmartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:16 PM   #13
wrongway
Gone Crazy

E-Z-GO

What size are those wheels and tires?
wrongway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:43 AM   #14
juzplanekrazy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Kmartz, I'll check it out.
Wrongway, I think they are all stock tires and rims. They are 18" tall I know that.

I got it all cleaned up this weekend, de-greased it and a good power wash. The battery box area is strong and needs no work. The box with that coil in it, is in bad shape and need attention.
Got the seats back too and the guy did a real good job. Can't wait to see it painted.
The undercarriage is real clean, just a little touch up cleaning, sanding and I'll rattle can paint it.
The body needs a good sanding and a few small dents fixed. I'm debateing on weather to paint it at home or just take it to somebody. Cost will be the factor there.
I gota see what all this wiring is going to cost and what ever upgrades to make it run a little better first.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:39 AM   #15
Coltf1991
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Those seats look awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Coltf1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:41 PM   #16
juzplanekrazy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ya they did good Colt, $135, seemed fair to me.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:55 PM   #17
Coltf1991
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Hell yea! I really like the design in the back rest, and the white piping makes it all POP out! Good choice
Coltf1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:09 PM   #18
juzplanekrazy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Got a little more done this weekend.
Alot of sanding.... and some primer work on the under side.
The underside was real clean after power washing it, I'll rattle can it black. I'm just not sure what I'm going to do on the body yet. I hate to put big $$ into a paint job on a cart so old, I'm not sure I'm going to keep.
I guess that will depend on how it runs after I get it back together, which I'll do here soon as I get some new wiring and controller parts for it. I'll go ahead and paint the underside and battery compartment and get it running again. Then I'll see just how much I like it then.

Here's a pic of all the wiring and parts that make it run. Not a whole lot to it. I need all new wiring and would like to get all new controller parts too. Not sure where to get that stuff or even what It's all called yet.
I did get the new rims and tires, great looking little rims & tires. Save putting those babys on tell I get it running again.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:46 PM   #19
juzplanekrazy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Here's a list of parts I think I need. Wiring is for sure.
1. Brake cables-bent and fraying-No idea where to get these.
2. F-R switch looks OK, theres some small switch hooked to that too that looks pretty rusted. But may be OK i guess?-No idea where to get this either.
3. Solenoid/ Controller board ?. The buttons are pretty worn out looking and so is the one the runs back and forth on them to up the speed/amps what ever?-Looks like a complete unit I could buy, if they even make them anymore?
4. Coil? It looks like a heat sink to me. The box it's in is rusted up, but not it that bad a shape. Nothing looks broke in it. ?? Need a new one or replaced ???? I have no idea.

I'm hopeing once I do get new wires and find what ever else I need to replace I can rewire this **** thing.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:28 PM   #20
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by juzplanekrazy View Post
Here's a list of parts I think I need. Wiring is for sure.
1. Brake cables-bent and fraying-No idea where to get these.
2. F-R switch looks OK, theres some small switch hooked to that too that looks pretty rusted. But may be OK i guess?-No idea where to get this either.
3. Solenoid/ Controller board ?. The buttons are pretty worn out looking and so is the one the runs back and forth on them to up the speed/amps what ever?-Looks like a complete unit I could buy, if they even make them anymore?
4. Coil? It looks like a heat sink to me. The box it's in is rusted up, but not it that bad a shape. Nothing looks broke in it. ?? Need a new one or replaced ???? I have no idea.

I'm hopeing once I do get new wires and find what ever else I need to replace I can rewire this **** thing.
First, let me say that cart is in great condition for it's age. However, it is still 27 years old and has an antique drive system. Generally referred to as a "resistor coil" cart, the resistors are the coils in the box you refer to in #4 above. Basically works thusly: the gas pedal is mechanically hooked to the wiper that passes over the copper lugs on the speed board to control speed. At low speed some of the battery power is sent to the coils to burn off as heat. At full speed the coils are bypassed and all power goes to the motor. The cart is not efficient at anything other than wide open throttle. EZGO used this system until the early '90s. Since then all the carts are solid state. More efficient at all speeds plus linear acceleration, fewer parts, more robust etc.
Soooo, what to do?
1. Keep it like it is. Parts should be available and not too expensive (in context). These carts will run fine for what they are. EZGO (and others) used this system for a long time. Top speed will be 12-14 mph. They will not tolerate much in the way of performance upgrades (lifts, bigger tires, more voltage etc.).
2. Convert to solid state. You still will have a 27 year old cart but the electronics will be modern and upgrades from mild to wild would be an option. One of the site sponsors makes a conversion kit here: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Scotty...rsion_Kit.html
You will still need the controller and solenoid so altogether a little pricey. Kind of like an old car. When do you stop putting money in it an go for a new one.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO