lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-19-2012, 03:32 PM   #1
hollywood23113
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Help EZGO Wont go EZ

1998 EZGO 36v. OK guys. I installed a radio today. Hooked hot to one battery and ground to another. Radio and cart worked fine, then a friend told me I should hook it to the switch on the dash so it would turn on and off with key. Tried that it never worked so I hooked everything back up the way I had it. No I have no back up beeper and the cart is dead and will do nothing. Check all batteries and have atleast 6v in each one and total 36.9 for all. I dont know alot about these things and dont know what the problem is now. Is there a main fuse that could have blown or something. PLEASE HELP, thanks
hollywood23113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-19-2012, 09:51 PM   #2
lithoman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Help EZGO Wont go EZ

your batteries are at 65% ..Try charging the batts and give it another try.
lithoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:36 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Unless you have factory lights and/or accessories, you tied your 12V radio to 36V and fried it as well as the solenoid activation circuit.

Key Switch, MS-2 of F/R and/or Reed Switch may be blown.

Here is a schematic with the KSI (Key Switch and Interlocks) traced.

If the charger receptacle only has two big wires coming out of the backside, let me know and I'll post the schematic for the less common configuration.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - Series with KSI traced.JPG (58.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:13 AM   #4
hollywood23113
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

None of the access. are stock. But the lights have been on there for months and work fine, (bought from Bug. unlimited). And the radio worked fine, I didnt burn it up, but I did unhooked it to get it out of the eqaution. The key switch had power to it but dont know about now, but the F/N/R switch does nothing and the buzzer dosn't come on when the switch is in R now. So does all this stuff go throught the F/R rocker switch, did it maybe just go bad. I gotta have my cart this weekend and dont know how to fix this. I thought about the batteries but I was riding the cart right before the radio install and I dont think it the batts are too low.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:11 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Is your key switch a two position switch (On/Off) or a three position switch(On/Off/Lights)?

If it is a three position, there should have been a separate set of terminals for 12V.
If it is a two position, only the 36V solenoid activation circuit is there.

For some reason, the solenoid activation circuit is no longer working.

Start at the Reed Switch and trace it out to the solenoid coil terminal.

According the the schematic, B+ starts at the positive Radsok in the charger receptacle, through the Reed switch, through MS-2 on the F/R assembly, thought the Key Switch and through MS-3 in the throttle box to the solenoid coil. B- is picked up from the B- terminal on the controller.

The fact the beeper no longer sounds, tells me the problem is before the key switch. My first step would be checking for B+ on the small wire coming out of the charging receptacle.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:47 PM   #6
hollywood23113
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Hey Johnnie, their is 2 small wires coming out of the charge port, one is hooked up but one is not. I dont know why it is not hooked up but it is nothing that I messed with so it has been like that since I got the cart and been fine. I dont know alot about electronics so you kinda lose me in this stuff. I think it is a 3 way key switch. Id it posible that the batteries are that low,(I dont think so) but I guess I can charge and see what happens. I dont know alot about carts or the controlers, but the plug that goes to the key switch from the controler has no power on any points, should it and when should it light up my test light?? When on the gas pedal or only when switch is on or all the time???? Do you think the controller went bad. I gotta have my cart this weekend. Also what is the reed switch. Thank you again
Old 05-20-2012, 10:05 PM   #7
1fastbuggy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

When you say two small wires how small. i only have one small wire coming out and two bigger wires the two bigger ones go to the battery and the small one goes to the f&r switch.

You will know if the key switch is two position or three when you turn it off turn it to the right one click mean 2 position and 2 clicks means 3 position.

I'll pm you my number and you can call me tomorrow and i can walk you through it.
1fastbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:22 PM   #8
hollywood23113
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

thank you fastbuggie. There is 2 large and 2 small wires. One is not hooked up, and one I guess is the one to f/r switch. I am lost and this sucks. I scared I burnt up a controled or something???
Old 05-20-2012, 10:44 PM   #9
1fastbuggy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Where are you from?
Old 05-20-2012, 10:45 PM   #10
1fastbuggy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

it would also help if u took all the covers off and sent me some pics to my email jjohnsonici@yahoo.com so i can see if anything is wired wrong.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO