lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-05-2013, 01:19 PM   #1
Offtwice
Member 23082

Club Car

Default Bad Master Cylinder?

Took the cart to get the (typically difficult) 4 wheel disk brakes bled. They hooked up a pressure bleeder that pressurizes the supply lines to the MC and then simply open the calipers until bubbles stop and steady stream of fluid is flowing (right?)........NOT! Pressurized and no fluid coming through the calipers - in fact after proving MC is getting fluid - the MC had no fluid exiting to the calipers. Strange......... And I am told the MC is bad? I believe them.....fluid incoming and nothing exiting.......but am stumped - why would an MC go bad? Is this typical?

This system has been challenging to bleed from day one - perhaps ths one was bad from the start?

I ordered another - but want to understand more about this one - the manufacturer says it is rebuildable - can they diagnose the problem when rebuilding it? Any idea where to have it rebuilt?

Any help here is appreciated - I am not very knowledgable about brakes!

OT
Offtwice is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-05-2013, 02:29 PM   #2
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Bad Master Cylinder?

Forget the pressure-bleeding.Bleed the master cyl.first.Slowly push the pedal,while someone cracks the line loose coming out of it.Usually it takes 3 or 4 times to purge it.Or you can "Bench-Bleed" it,Clamp it in a vise,plug the fluid-ports,fill the reservoir,slowly pump the piston with a screwdriver(slow even short-strokes(don't bottom it out),it will gradually get harder to compress,repeat until it barely moves.Then reinstall.Then,pump the pedal fully and slowly(biggest mistake is fast pumping).After a few pumps,start with your farthest-wheel,just like a car,have someone crack the bleeder,while you slowly,fully depress the pedal.Repeat for the other 3-wheels.After this,now do a regular-bleed at each wheel until the fluid is clear of air.Another trick is to get a oil-can(hand-pump style).hook a piece of hose to it,connect it to the bleeders 1 at a time,and pump the fluid back to the master until the bubbles stop.What grade fluid are you using?Dot-5 can be a real pain to bleed,but doesn't eat paint since its' silicone.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:03 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Rebuilding a new MC would consist of putting a new seal(s) in it? I guess it is possible it was defective or compromised during manufacture OR some contaminate has entered the system? Your best bet is to call the manufacture. They will know of any trouble with this MC. I have not heard of any nor have we had any problem with the 3 systems I have. I will PM you that number.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:55 PM   #4
oconnorb
Gone Wild

Club Car

I went through same issues a few times, install and bleed... manufacture told me it was a bad mc, I had a freind come over and pump the brake pedal while I did each cylinder, and the brakes work, about an hour later. It is the old fashion way, but it has worked on seven carts so far that I have installed four wheel disk brakes.
oconnorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:09 PM   #5
Offtwice
Member 23082

Club Car

I have power bled these brakes successfully 2 times previously but now - when fluid is pressured into the MC I am not getting any fluid out of the MC - like the seal inside is swollen or something.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:13 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

IS your stroke correct? What type of fluid have you used?
Old 01-05-2013, 06:16 PM   #7
Offtwice
Member 23082

Club Car

I believe I have only introduced dot 3 - but initial fabbing trials did not have stroke very well aligned - that was only a few strokes and without fluid.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:19 PM   #8
Offtwice
Member 23082

Club Car

I wonder if the tubing I am using from the reservoir to the MC could have chemically reacted and created a sludge byproduct inside the MC ?
Old 01-05-2013, 06:20 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

see your PM
Old 01-05-2013, 06:21 PM   #10
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

a few strokes and without fluid. I believe you have to get it on the bench and tilt it to purge it.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car