lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-07-2013, 11:21 AM   #1
nobogez42
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Cable Upgrade Questions

If I upgrade the cables what all should I replace? I know all of the battery cables. What about cables to the controller and solenoid? If I plan on upgrading the controller in the future what else should I change? F/R switch?

If anyone has any detailed info on What cable and wire sizes should be used with different amp controllers, it would be greatly appreciated.
nobogez42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-07-2013, 11:24 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Cable Upgrade Questions

Generally use 4g is good for everything below 500 amps and 2g above.
You can use 4g with 500a at 48v
You should should 2g with all aftermarket motors (not needed for PQ Bandit)
I think that covers it.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:41 PM   #3
rebound44
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Purchased a set of 2 gauge cables from Scottybs for my 2002 IQ CC had a 506 0002 D&D motor . The torque increase was excellent ( Hold on tight ), the speed increase was slight. Stock every thing else . Well worth it.
rebound44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:59 PM   #4
nobogez42
Gone Wild
Club Car

Thank Scottie!

What about cables other than those connecting the batteries? Do they need upgrading too? I think If I go with a 500amp controller I have to have a different solenoid. Is this correct. What If I go with a 400amp? I have also seen where people put in a heavy duty F/R switch. Would I need to do that?
Old 01-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #5
nobogez42
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebound44 View Post
Purchased a set of 2 gauge cables from Scottybs for my 2002 IQ CC had a 506 0002 D&D motor . The torque increase was excellent ( Hold on tight ), the speed increase was slight. Stock every thing else . Well worth it.
I lost a little speed when I converted to 8v batteries. Cart is now over 200 pounds heavier. Trying to pick up some torque. Running a PQ Bandit. Everything else stock.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:34 PM   #6
ArmyVetSgtAdkins
Philippians 4:13

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobogez42 View Post
I lost a little speed when I converted to 8v batteries. Cart is now over 200 pounds heavier. Trying to pick up some torque. Running a PQ Bandit. Everything else stock.
You actually lost speed when you converted from 4 12's to 6 8v batteries? Did you notice a big difference in run times?
ArmyVetSgtAdkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:43 PM   #7
nobogez42
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVetSgtAdkins View Post
You actually lost speed when you converted from 4 12's to 6 8v batteries? Did you notice a big difference in run times?
Yes I lost a little, but I am sure it is due to the weight. It is like having and extra person (pretty large person) on board. My old batteries were marine batteries, which weigh less than cart batteries. I am still in the break-in process, but I can see run times will be much better. But, then my old batteries were junk so I don't have a lot to compare it to.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:39 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

When you upgrade the cables you should upgrade every high amperage cable in the cart. In a typical series drive there may be 13 or 14 and in a sepex drive about 10 cables total. This allows for more amps to flow through the cables as the juice runs from the batteries to the motor. The amperage also runs through the controller, solenoid, and F&R. SO all these parts need to be upgraded to complete the delivery system boost.

Remember the system is only as good as it's weakest link.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #9
nobogez42
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
When you upgrade the cables you should upgrade every high amperage cable in the cart. In a typical series drive there may be 13 or 14 and in a sepex drive about 10 cables total. This allows for more amps to flow through the cables as the juice runs from the batteries to the motor. The amperage also runs through the controller, solenoid, and F&R. SO all these parts need to be upgraded to complete the delivery system boost.

Remember the system is only as good as it's weakest link.
That helps a lot. A couple of questions for clarification... I know all of the large wires will be high amperage. What about the orange and blue wires from the controller to the motor? What size are the wires going to the F/R switch and what size should I upgrade to? Sorry for so many questions but I appreciate the help.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:27 AM   #10
jantrree
Gone Wild
Club Car

Question to ScottyB. I have a stock 2010 Club Car Precedent, Champions edition with 10 inch wheels. 48V (6-8V batteries). I do not plan to make any upgrades or modifications. I only use cart for golf and running back and forth from home to course (less than 1 mile). Should I upgrade my cables to 4 ga? If I do, what will I notice if anything. Will it affect run time, torque or battery life? Is your cabel upgrade something that a non gearhead can do? I am ok technically but not a mechanic. Thanks for the info you give us on the forum.
jantrree is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car