lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #1
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default How To: Full Power/Speed Reverse (DS Resister Carts)

WHY DO THIS MOD?
I got stuck in a rut (literally). I had plenty of power to go forward – with the exception of a big tree in my way — but reverse wasn't powerful enough to get me out so I went looking for a fix. I heard several mentions of performing the mod but I couldn't find any specifics. So here it is, maybe this will help the 1 or 2 of us out there that still have DS Resistor carts.

COST
Free ...or as much as you want to spend.

DISCLAIMER
DS resistor-style carts have a simple 18v + reverse setup. I guess this restriction is somehow for safety. After doing this mod your cart will have just as much power/torque/speed in Reverse as it does in Forward! Be careful.

INSTRUCTIONS
1) Disconnect battery bank to prevent unwanted welds while doing this mod. Then un-mount the F/R Switch so you can more easily get to the terminals at the bottom. This also makes it easier to measure the terminals for the new bus bar (in step 6).

2) If you looking at the rear of F/R switch (correct-side up), then the bottom-right terminal is the "Reverse", which should have a battery cable going to the 18v "+" terminal on your battery bank. The bottom-left terminal is the "Forward" going to the first 36v "+" terminal on your battery bank. Verify your setup by using a volt meter!!!

3) Remove the bottom-right (18v) cable from the switch and then from the battery terminal, you may discard or you now have an extra cable ICE.

4) Measure the spacing of the bottom terminals on the F/R Switch and note it somewhere.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4103.jpg (133.4 KB, 0 views)
UncleJerm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-10-2013, 04:16 PM   #2
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: How To: Full Power/Speed Reverse (DS Resister Carts)

5) Locate and cut out a nice thick piece of “conductive material” to span across the two terminals. NOTE: ScottyB says a copper bar at least 50% as thick as the two terminals you are connecting is the best material to use. I couldn't locate any so I used 1/4” cold steel since I had lots left-over from my build. If you can’t do either of these you “could” use your extra cable removed in step 3 above, but it won’t look as clean as a bus bar.

6) Measure and drill your new bus bar to slip through the two bottom terminals of the F/R switch using the measurement from step 4 (I rounded the corners for aesthetics only). Test fit until your happy with it, then remove and clean the material thoroughly for best conductivity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4108.jpg (205.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4111.jpg (146.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4112.jpg (289.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-10-2013, 04:19 PM   #3
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

7) Since I was using a steel bus bar I decided to paint it with Rustoleum to help prevent rust. But first, I bolted a screw in each hole to keep a ring around the hole from being painted. This will keep the battery cables’ ring terminal in direct contact with the steel bar. As you can see from the pictures it left a nice raw steel surface around the holes for the cable terminal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4113.jpg (164.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4114.jpg (299.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4115.jpg (167.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-10-2013, 04:22 PM   #4
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

8.) Install your new bus bar and reconnect the ring terminals to it. Then reconnect your battery bank “-“ terminal from step one and using a voltage meter test all your connections. Since both terminals should now be running 36V, it doesn't matter which one you use for your various accessory leads.

9) Put it all back together and enjoy your new powerful reverse! Even feel free to grunt like Tim the tool man while doing it.

...Yes, I know my cables look like CRUD, that’s how I bought the cart. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4117.jpg (228.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-10-2013, 05:02 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You could use dielectric grease instead of paint, it will prevent rust and promote electrical contact
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:10 PM   #6
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
You could use dielectric grease instead of paint, it will prevent rust and promote electrical contact
Good idea, never thought about bathing the whole bar in that stuff!

I'm so used to using on everything electrical that I just noticed I forgot to mention it went on the bolts and around the raw area's after painting. That stuff also has magical properties on trailer hitch plugs!
Old 01-13-2013, 07:49 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyDeal View Post
Good idea, never thought about bathing the whole bar in that stuff!

I'm so used to using on everything electrical that I just noticed I forgot to mention it went on the bolts and around the raw area's after painting. That stuff also has magical properties on trailer hitch plugs!
Oh yeah! I fixed some running lights on my wife's horse trailer, Dielectric grease goes in the crimp connectors before the wire goes in I do the same in the battery bay of the GC.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, reverse, slow
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car