lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-14-2013, 09:32 AM   #1
cowboysclassics
Getting Wild

Harley Davidson

Default Lightning strike 1993 EZGO 36-Volt XT 500 Workhorse

I am looking for some help diagnosing an electrical problem with my cart that I believe to have been caused by a direct lightning strike to our house last week.
The cart was plugged in in our unattached garage, several feet away from another outlet on the same circuit where a small stereo was shorted out by the lightning or a power surge.

I did not notice the damage to the stereo until later, and unplugged my cart and was going to use it around the property. I took off in the cart and it only made it about 10 feet and the left rear tire appeared to lock up and the cart would not move in either direction. I was able to push it back in my shop with no problem so I figured it was something caused by the lightning strike after I noticed the damaged stereo. The cart had been fully charged before the lightning strike and the charger shut off. I also charged it since then to make sure the charger is working properly and everything seems fine with the charger and charging circuit.

Cart info: 1993 EZGO 36-Volt XT 500 Workhorse, ID tag on mine says Textron XT 500 S# U.L.A. 26365 -C2893 - Type E Industrial Truck -38E3.
It has a spicer rearend according to the tag on the rearend and I believe it is the Series motor. All lights and the horn have never worked since I have had it, and I don't think they are even hooked up as there is no power to the fuse block.

All connections have been cleaned, and all electrical components checked visually for anything that looks to have been damaged or shorted out. Batterys are full of water, and pack is charged, SOC reading 38.2 after 24 hours. It is up on jackstands, and brake hubs have been removed to eliminate the brakes hanging up. With the switch on the solenoid clicks and rear axles try to turn very little in forward and in reverse.

I removed and secured the 4 cables on the motor, and did a continuity test and it checks OK. Did the low voltage motor test and the axles do turn good so I am assuming the motor itself is OK. That is all I have checked as of now and needing to know what to check next. BTW, I started with the rear end and motor because of the way the cart seemed to have locked up when it quit. I also searched the forum for any and all related posts made in the past with not much luck finding where to go next.

Thank You in advance for any input any of you might have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EZGO Workhorse electrical 001.JPG (171.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg EZGO Workhorse electrical 003.JPG (170.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg EZGO Workhorse electrical 004.JPG (174.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg EZGO Workhorse electrical 005.JPG (171.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg EZGO Workhorse electrical 010.JPG (172.3 KB, 0 views)
cowboysclassics is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-14-2013, 10:04 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Lightning strike 1993 EZGO 36-Volt XT 500 Workhorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysclassics View Post
.............With the switch on the solenoid clicks and rear axles try to turn very little in forward and in reverse..................
The above statement may indicate a problem, but it isn't what is keeping the cart from running.
Three switches are supposed to be closed to get the solenoid to click.
1. Keyswitch = ON
2. F/R lever in F or R (MS-2 closed)
3. Pedal depressed (MS-3 closed)

If the solenoid clicks without the pedal being pushed, the pedal switch (MS-3) is bad or maladjusted.

-------------
Since the solenoid is clicking, the problem is in the high current loop.
Connect a DVM between the B- and M- terminals on the controller.
When the solenoid clicks, you should read FULL battery pack voltage.
If not, there is an open or high resistance in the high current cables, contacts or connections.

Here is a schematic with the high current loop highlighted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pot Box cart with high current circuit traced.JPG (124.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:06 AM   #3
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

That looks like a Curtis 1204 controller. You can download a pdf manual for it. You can then do a step by step diagnosis test. Lightning is bad ju ju for controllers!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:43 AM   #4
cowboysclassics
Getting Wild

Harley Davidson

Sorry JohnnieB, I meant to say that it clicks when the switch is on and the pedal pushed down. I will do the test you mentioned to see what it reads though.

Simple man, I just downloaded a manual for a Curtis 1204 controller and will read through it. And yes lightning sucks, we were really lucky the house didn't catch fire with all the damage it did to the upstairs wiring, not to mention the computers and appliances that it fried.

Thanks guys.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:58 AM   #5
cowboysclassics
Getting Wild

Harley Davidson

One more thing I forgot to mention that I found odd is I seem to have power to all 4 lugs on the motor as well as the connections on the controller even with the switch off, I used a test light to check this because I couldn't find my DVM at the time.

I just checked with the switch off when I hook the leads from a DVM to B- and M- terminals on the controller it reads 37 volts, with the switch on and the pedal pushed the readings are much less. I am not very good with using the DVM or anything else related to checking these electrical circuits so please have patience with me. I am trying to remember things I have forgot many years ago.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:55 PM   #6
cowboysclassics
Getting Wild

Harley Davidson

I just did this test posted below from the EZGO diagnostic page. With the switch on my reading on the battery side of the solenoid was 38.6 volts, on the controller side of the solenoid it reads 32.6 volts which suggests that the resistor is faulty. I am not sure which is the resistor though, or if this test tells me anything or not.

EZGO Diagnostic testing for Ezgo Solid State speed Control Systems

Testing of the EZGO ELECTRONIC SPEED CONTROL - SERIES & PDS (NON DCS)
ALWAYS DISCONNECT THE NEGATIVE BATTERY CABLE BEFORE REMOVING CONTROLLER COVER. RE-CONNECT CABLE AFTER COVER IS REMOVED.
These test are to be conducted after making sure all wires and connections are clean and tight.
PLACE THE REAR OF THE CART SECURELY ON BLOCKS OR JACK STANDS FOR SAFETY
Connect (-) probe of meter on Battery Pack Negative (-) post. (This probe will on the post for the rest of the testing procedures) Connect (+) probe to the Battery Pack Positive (+) battery post. (This reading is the Battery Voltage and the amount of POWER TO THE CONTROLLER -
NOW, Key switch ON, gear selector in FORWARD, Place the (+) probe on the battery side of the solenoid's large post (If the reading is below battery voltage, check all wiring and terminals).
Place the (+) probe to the controller side of the solenoid's large post. The reading should be 0.1 to 3 volts less than battery voltage. If the reading is more than 3 volts less the battery voltage, the resistor is faulty. If the voltage is the same as the battery voltage, replace the solenoid.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:05 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The resistor is the black cylindrical object connected between the two large terminals on the solenoid. (The same terminals the heavy cables are connected to)

The resistor isn't needed to for troubleshooting, but is the reason for some strange and confusing reading at times, so remove it for the time being.
(It reduces the arcing on the solenoid's contacts, so reinstall it after the cart is running again)

With the resistor installed and the F/R lever in F or R, you will measure voltage on all four motor terminals and all four high current terminals on the F/R switch. Without the resistor, that voltage will go away.

With the pedal only pushed far enough for the solenoid to click, you should read pack voltage between the controller's B- and M- terminals.

If so, push the pedal slowly to the floor and the voltage should drop to near Zero.

The speed control element (MOSFETs) are located between B- and M-, and it blocks current to the motor when the pedal is up and pass it when the pedal is down, so all the battery voltage is dropped across the MOSFETs when the pedal is up (Throttle off) and pass to the motor when pedal is down (Full throttle)

IF not, there is an open in the high current circuit someplace.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:39 PM   #8
cowboysclassics
Getting Wild

Harley Davidson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
The resistor is the black cylindrical object connected between the two large terminals on the solenoid. (The same terminals the heavy cables are connected to)

The resistor isn't needed to for troubleshooting, but is the reason for some strange and confusing reading at times, so remove it for the time being.
(It reduces the arcing on the solenoid's contacts, so reinstall it after the cart is running again)

With the resistor installed and the F/R lever in F or R, you will measure voltage on all four motor terminals and all four high current terminals on the F/R switch. Without the resistor, that voltage will go away.

With the pedal only pushed far enough for the solenoid to click, you should read pack voltage between the controller's B- and M- terminals.

If so, push the pedal slowly to the floor and the voltage should drop to near Zero.

The speed control element (MOSFETs) are located between B- and M-, and it blocks current to the motor when the pedal is up and pass it when the pedal is down, so all the battery voltage is dropped across the MOSFETs when the pedal is up (Throttle off) and pass to the motor when pedal is down (Full throttle)

IF not, there is an open in the high current circuit someplace.
Thank You again for the help JB, I will check it again in the morning and report back.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:24 PM   #9
cowboysclassics
Getting Wild

Harley Davidson

Ok I did the test again with the resister removed from the solenoid. With key switch on & directional switch in FWD and pedal pushed just enough for the solenoid to click it read full battery pack, as I pushed the pedal down the voltage went down with it all the way to the floor reading zero.

I did notice the two cables from directional switch to the S1 & S2 terminals on the motor getting hot after I tried it a couple of times to make sure I was reading it right.

Thanks again JB for your help.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:07 PM   #10
cowboysclassics
Getting Wild

Harley Davidson

Scratch my last post JB.

I don't have a clue whats going on but I redid the test again putting the positive DVM test lead on the M- terminal and the negative DVM lead on the B- terminal and the reading when the pedal pushed until the solenoid clicks is still full battery pack charge but as I press down on the pedal it only goes as low as 28.4 volts and no lower.

I did the test again after reading ScottyB.s post in a different thread that said which DVM lead to put on which terminal. I assumed it made no difference before since you never mentioned it. What do I try next? Thanks again.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO