lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-26-2013, 08:14 AM   #1
GravyGoodness
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Bigger Tires Means More Upgrades?

I got the 23" tires and wheels mounted on my 2004 EZ Go TXT Series cart this weekend. There is not a gigantic reduction in power, but I can feel a difference when I am driving around.

I was curious as to what the smartest route to go is. There are stock battery cables on there now. Should I go with 2 or 4 GA? Will a controller help my cause? I do not plan on switching out to 48v, and if I make a motor upgrade it would only be for torque and no concern for speed. I think that would be farther in the future unless the controller did not solve the issue.

I am just wondering what the smartest plan of action is and what kind of performance I can expect from the upgrades.
GravyGoodness is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-26-2013, 08:32 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Bigger Tires Means More Upgrades?

seeing as how you have a series cart, its a good thing your not concerned with speed, lol (I was in the same boat, I have a 2007 TXT Series).

go to CartsUnlimited.net ScottyB has everything you will need.

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Home_Page.html

I personally would suggest what suggested to me, his Pkg #485, plus I did opt for the 2 ga. cables. as I wanted to set myself up in the event I ended up going to 48v in the future, and I was already set. Not to mention, going from 4 to 2 ga was only an additional $30

NOW, as far as performance goes, the real issues is your carts electronics longevity, this will set you up for a long time, and will even allow you room to do some upgrading, like an aftermarket motor. which I did later.

well that is my .02 lol
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:57 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Bigger Tires Means More Upgrades?

Series carts make more torque than speed. Your tire size increase has made a 30% increase in final drive gear ratio. Basically unless you drive under the easiest of conditions the controller won't last. The whole system is engineered for golf. Once you increase tire size motor demand for amperage increases and this is usually more than the stock system can sustain without overheating and melting down somewhere.

I say somewhere because there are several components which make up the amperage delivery system and any one of them can become the weak link. Between the battery pack and the motor you have a speed control, solenoid, cables, and F&R switch. All of these components need to be upgraded.

If you plan on keeping the cart, you may want your upgrades to allow for future upgrades. ie: bigger cables and 48v compatible electronics.

Remember bigger controllers allow the motor to draw more amperage. More amperage = torque increase provided you can safely deliver it ( upgrade cables, solenoid, and F&R) A voltage increase will spin the motor faster = more speed. You also get additional torque and efficiency from running on 48 volts.

Hope this helps
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO