lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-26-2013, 09:13 PM   #1
QuickSilver74
Not Yet Wild

Default how to test transformer and capacitor?

i have a 36v Lestronic 2 charger that has been working fine for a couple of months until recently. the cart has 3 month old batteries in it and the pack voltage is currently 34.7v.

on to the problem. the batteries are in need of a charge so i plugged the charger in today and it clicked on and started a low humming noise but the ammeter stayed at zero. i checked the pack voltage and it remained at 34.7V with the charger on it. i have been using the guide i found here to troubleshoot it

lesterelectrical.com/service/knowledgebase/troubleshootingguide.pdf

so far i have determined that the fuse it good on both legs, the timer is working correctly. i checked the diodes and they have continuity in only one direction (both the same direction) i am at the part where i need to check the capacitor and the transformer but am not quite sure how to do it. the guide is a little vague on the steps. i have tried unplugging the capacitor and checked the ac voltage at the wires that should plug into it and it is around 460V (that is unplugging the wires at the diodes at the same time)

what should my next steps be?
QuickSilver74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-26-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: how to test transformer and capacitor?

To test the capacitor, read my post directly below this one titled "charge". To test the transformer, locate the diodes, note the two inputs and one output to the charge cord. With everything in the charger connected normally, connect the charger to the cart. When the charger activates, use your volt meter set to "200v AC", probe the ammeter terminal with the black wire to the charge cord, and probe each diode input wire. The AC voltage readings should be a couple volts above the expected DC output voltage readings on charge on BOTH diodes.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:02 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: how to test transformer and capacitor?

The troubleshooting guide linked to is a bit vague and the drawings hard to read.
These are a bit better.

Basically, you disconnect the wires from the transformer to the diodes, connect a DVM to the wires from the transformer and measure the AC voltage with an without the capacitor connected.

You should get about 60VAC without the capacitor and about 90VAC with it connected.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Transformer-Capacitor test.JPG (66.2 KB, 0 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Transformer-opencircuit-voltage-test.pdf (38.1 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO