lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-27-2014, 06:41 PM   #1
cbrown.tx
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Cable Thoughts

Looking to upgrade my stock 6ga cables on my 48 volt (6 8v battery) system. Has anyone ever used this welding cable to upgrade their cables? Any thoughts on it? My plan was to build a set of cables using a crimp tool and then silver soldering them with a shrink wrap finish. I'll build the bolt for the OBC.

I know there are lots of great cable sets from site sponsors and I'm not opposed to them; just working off a tight budget right now and trying to improve torgue lost when putting lift and larger tires (yes... tires... not wheels )
cbrown.tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-27-2014, 08:48 PM   #2
physcoflip
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Cable Thoughts

It has been done there are even some old threads about it. It is better than stock cables is the overall opinion from what I have found.
physcoflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 12:28 PM   #3
Epb
Gone Wild
Club Car

I use welding cable, lugs and slugs and no crimping required.
Epb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:14 PM   #4
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

this is the welding cable I used , I know this is more then what you were looking at but they have smaller rolls
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WELDING-CABL...item3a78588d24

soldiered them on and shrink wrapped
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:14 PM   #5
Drewfus
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I say just head down to your local welding supply store and get some 2 AWG welding cable. I also went to the local NAPA store for some correct lugs to crimp on. I then soldered after crimping the lugs on and applied heat shrink.
Before doing this, most of my stock cables were at the very least warm to the touch after a few minutes of driving, some of them being hot even.. After the new cables were put on, they are definitely not heating up at all. Coool as a cucumber!
This followed a solenoid change and a stock F/R switch rebuild. The only thing that gets hot to the touch now in my complete electrical system is the stock motor.
Drewfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car