lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-28-2022, 12:52 AM   #1
TXGolfer22
Not Yet Wild

Default Yamaha G29 Solenoid Click Only When Charging

2010 G29 The Drive. Brand new 48V lithium batteries with proper new charger for 3 pin OEM. Worked perfect for two weeks. Last week, it died while climbing a steep hill. Disconnected main negative and reconnected. Solenoid clicked and away I went to finish my round. Today, same thing happened. Died while driving uphill. This time disconnecting battery and reconnecting did nothing. The solenoid clicks ONLY when charger is plugged in. Unplug the charger... nothing. Individual batteries show full charge. Headlights won't even work unless charger is plugged in. Solenoid is not the problem, as I swapped it out with no change. Even if I disconnect built-in charger cables altogether, the solenoid will not click despite full charge. Frustrated as all H.
TXGolfer22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-28-2022, 08:44 AM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G29 Solenoid Click Only When Charging

Sounds like a problem with your BMS. It isn't letting the cart get battery power for some reason.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 10:19 AM   #3
TXGolfer22
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
Sounds like a problem with your BMS. It isn't letting the cart get battery power for some reason.
Thanks for the response. I do not use a separate BMS, but rather have a Lithium purpose charger. I have the batteries connected in a proper series. Anything else come to mind?

Last edited by TXGolfer22; 01-28-2022 at 10:22 AM.. Reason: Clarification
Old 01-28-2022, 10:20 AM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Lithium without a BMS???? Not a good idea. What brand do you have? Something has to be making them cut out - and that is almost always a BMS.
Old 01-28-2022, 10:26 AM   #5
TXGolfer22
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Lithium without a BMS???? Not a good idea. What brand do you have? Something has to be making them cut out - and that is almost always a BMS.
Please disregard my previous answer. The batteries (4 x 12V) each have a built-in BMS. Apologies for my confusion. They continue to show good charge, but solenoid only kicks in and headlights only work when charger is connected.
Old 01-28-2022, 10:52 AM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Again I will say that it sounds like a BMS is keeping things from working. Put a meter on each battery one at a time when you try to run the cart. One is probably showing no or low voltage. I really don't like the 4 x 12V lithium setups with each battery having it's own BMS. They can get out of balance and not charge correctly.
Old 01-28-2022, 11:11 AM   #7
TXGolfer22
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Again I will say that it sounds like a BMS is keeping things from working. Put a meter on each battery one at a time when you try to run the cart. One is probably showing no or low voltage. I really don't like the 4 x 12V lithium setups with each battery having it's own BMS. They can get out of balance and not charge correctly.
You have no idea how much I appreciate your responses. Knowing someone is out there willing to provide feedback is SUPER nice. Your point about individual BMS is well taken, but for now it is what it is. 3 batteries show 13.2V and one shows 8.6V. Surely enough to not be a problem?
Old 01-28-2022, 11:20 AM   #8
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

The 8.6V is a problem for sure. All should be in the 13's.
Old 02-11-2022, 02:35 PM   #9
Umaxer
Not Yet Wild

I am having the same problem with my Umax. 4 new Battleborn batteries and the solenoid clicks and then unclicks and the batteries give a strange voltage reading. I plug into the charger and it resets. The only way I can drive the cart is to reset the batteries with the charger while the switch is on.
Umaxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 12:12 PM   #10
TXGolfer22
Not Yet Wild

To tie a bow on this thread... in my case it was the faulty single 12V battery. As soon as I took it out of sequence (creating 36V versus 48V), the cart operated normally. I replaced the battery and all is well now.
Thanks for the help on this.

Tags
click, g29, solenoid
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha