lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-02-2008, 09:52 PM   #1
hdpickup
Not Yet Wild

Default Help wiring starter generator

I have bought a Club Car that has a FE400 engine. It has the old style CW generator, The previous owner stripped 100% of the micro switches and wiring. I have the cart re-wired (less Micros) with a key start switch and everything works except I cannot get the generator to charge the battery. If I run a jumper from the +12 on the regulator to the battery, the charging works perfect.
The local dealer say's that the starter solenoid should stay engaged with the gas pedal pressed but I'm concerned about keeping that solenoid switch engaged for that long. It looks like an old Ford solenoid and they would not stand being engaged for long periods.
My local dealer wants me to replace the entire factory harness but this seems silly when I'm so close to having it working. I have the wiring schematic and it shows a diode on the solenoid. Could this be the issue?
I can't believe that I'm the first guy that has a cart that has the whole factory harness removed.
Any help out there?
hdpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-02-2008, 09:54 PM   #2
hdpickup
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Help wiring starter generator

I should have said that it has an old style generator but is running CW for the FE400
Old 10-02-2008, 10:21 PM   #3
crash12888
Gone Crazy

The ford style automotive solenoid will not last long. And yes, it stays energized at all times while the pedal is pushed and needs the diode. Cart system does not work the same as a automotive starting circuit.

As long as you are following the diagram with your harness then keep going and save your money.
You can get micros off the net or ebay but I've found that checking the dealer first sometimes pays off.
I am picking up an ignition coil for a FE290 from the dealer for $43.00 and the cheapest place on the net was $54.00 plus shipping and who knows what third world country made it. Just a thought.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 07:01 AM   #4
hdpickup
Not Yet Wild

I see the diode in the schematic but I don't have the additional wires hooking o the solenoid so I'm not sure what the diode does.
My wiring is pretty simple.
Hot wire to ign switch
Hot wire to relay that opens the white/black for shutting down engine
Start wire to solenoid
Lights
Oil level switch

Generator wiring is still original.

What I need to do is in install a micro on the gas pedal to engage the solenoid and provide 12v to close solenoid. Where does the diode go and what is it's purpose?
Old 10-03-2008, 12:22 PM   #5
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

have you checked the voltage regulator for your charging problem?.........................................8 )
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:57 PM   #6
hdpickup
Not Yet Wild

I have solved the problem. The new regulator was turned up to 20+ volts. When I adjusted it, the charging system started working. Also, someone installed an automotive style solenoid so I have changed it to the factory Club Car.
Everything seems to be good.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:18 PM   #7
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Welcome to the forum hdpickup..................
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car