lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-11-2021, 09:01 PM   #1
Rob_C
Getting Wild
Mixed Breed

Default 2008 G29 Motor Runs - No Drive

As in the title, 2008 G29, yellow tag transaxle.

Was driving fine, then they hit the brakes hard as he found his ball on the course. Got back in and no drive.

Motor runs but produces a lovely noise per the attached video. I only dabbed the throttle a couple of times here, figured that's plenty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIZ36b-98xc

Both hub splines are fine, I pulled the motor and both the motor and input shaft splines are fine but the rust makes me wonder how far the splines have actually been engaged.

Grabbed the input shaft with pliers and it tries to move the cart in both directions with the park brake engaged so I figure the trans is ok (right side axle seal is weeping however).

It's stinking hot here and humid so I've quit for the day but will go back and drain the transaxle to see how much oil is in it and if there's any metalflake present later.

Cheers,
Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4633.jpg (211.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4640.JPG (634.3 KB, 0 views)
Rob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-12-2021, 01:15 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: 2008 G29 Motor Runs - No Drive

Probably a spun hub at the wheel, jack it up, lock the brake, and attempt to spin each wheel, neither should spin.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 07:26 PM   #3
Rob_C
Getting Wild
Mixed Breed

Thanks cgtech, right you are.

I was back there early this morning and the further I jacked it up the more angle was on the left rear. I didn't give the inboard brakes a thought when he said he'd jumped on the brakes and was actuallyjacking it up to drop the oil to check for metallic particles.

I'd looked inside the small hubcap and underneath yesterday but even with the hub removed this morning there's zero telltale metallic particles anywhere. Just some fine rust dust. A trap for young players as they say.

At least it's a quick and cheap fix.

Cheers,
Rob
Old 01-13-2021, 12:10 AM   #4
Rob_C
Getting Wild
Mixed Breed

Seems I was wrong on the "cheap fix" part.

Yamaha Australia, genuine replacement hub, retail pricing incl. tax $A580 or around $US430. The salesman says "It does include wheel nuts"
The owner wants it yesterday so I bought what is no doubt a Chinese hub off a local supplier, $A260 or around $US192.

This is what we're up against here.

Cheers,
Rob
Old 01-16-2021, 01:49 PM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Parts for team axle are terribly expensive.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 11:54 PM   #6
Rob_C
Getting Wild
Mixed Breed

Yes but when I can buy the same, genuine Yamaha part from the US for just over $US200 retail plus maybe $US50 shipping, that's $US180 cheaper than buying local, someone here is making a heck of a lot of cream.

I bought a non-genuine hub for $US75 and shipping per the owner's instructions so the onus is now on him RE part quality. I don't like using what are no doubt Chinese parts.

Cheers,
Rob
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha