lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-15-2012, 01:37 PM   #1
yamaha77
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Yamaha g2 backfire after rebuild

Ok so this is my first post on here because ive actually got a lot of help just from reading other posts. Heres my problem i did a complete rebuild on my yamaha g2 285 motor i removed the stock air box and put a k/n filter on and took all of the plastics of the motor I also bought plowmans modified muffler for the g2 i have been getting a lot of backfireing and popping and it is extremely annoying and i can not seem to figure it out every once in a while i get a huge backfire out of the carb idk what to do i am puzzled with this the cart runs pretty fast because i got the speed spring and i get to about 23 and then it just starts to bogg kinda. I cant put the pedal down all the way cuz it will slow down and bog idk whats up with. I would really like to hear your guys opinions on this one.
yamaha77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-15-2012, 06:20 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha g2 backfire after rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaha77 View Post
Ok so this is my first post on here because ive actually got a lot of help just from reading other posts. Heres my problem i did a complete rebuild on my yamaha g2 285 motor i removed the stock air box and put a k/n filter on and took all of the plastics of the motor I also bought plowmans modified muffler for the g2 i have been getting a lot of backfireing and popping and it is extremely annoying and i can not seem to figure it out every once in a while i get a huge backfire out of the carb idk what to do i am puzzled with this the cart runs pretty fast because i got the speed spring and i get to about 23 and then it just starts to bogg kinda. I cant put the pedal down all the way cuz it will slow down and bog idk whats up with. I would really like to hear your guys opinions on this one.
Might want to recheck the valve adjustment, to tight could cause a backfire thru the carb or exhaust. You could have a TCI "rev limiter" shut down at the higher rpm, that could cause loss of power and a backfire.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:05 PM   #3
toadady
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
motor i removed the stock air box and put a k/n filter
you have to re-jet the carb. after this mod.

Quote:
and took all of the plastics of the motor
put those air schrouds back on, it's what directs the air around the motor to cool it.

Quote:
i get to about 23 and then it just starts to bogg kinda. I cant put the pedal down all the way cuz it will slow down and bog
G2's have a revlimiter built into the ignition
toadady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:31 AM   #4
yamaha77
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

ok thanks for your input im going to order the jets from plowmans tomorrow a couple poeple have told me to do the jets i just wasnt sure i adjusted the valves today and checked the gap it wasnt too far off they seemed loose so i tightend them a little was that wrong? It did not change the performance of the cart after i did that. I think i am also going to put the plastics back on. Being air cooled would it help to put a 10 inch 12v fan under the lid to pump in cold air since the cart isnt being used for traditional use or is it fine with the plastic shrouds on it and last do you think it would be a good idea to put a heat shield around the k/n filter?
Old 06-16-2012, 03:28 PM   #5
toadady
Gone Wild

Yamaha

i wouldn't worry about a fan, these are designed to putter around a golf course.

pun not intended
toadady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:47 AM   #6
yamaha77
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

im about to go get upgraded jets does anyone know the sizes to get?
Old 07-16-2012, 08:32 AM   #7
George05
Not Yet Wild

I just did a rebuild on a G2 and am also getting a small backfire out of the exhaust only when you get out of the gas. Cart seems to run good other then that. Everything is stock on this cart. Any ideas of what to check other than the valve adjustment.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
George05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:37 AM   #8
joehinvt
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

make sure the return spring has enough tension to shut the throttle COMPLETLY when accelerator is let up... also when letting off make sure you are not unconciously keeping your foot on the pedal when slowing down...that will result in the carb not closing and will result in a backfire..
joehinvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha