lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-06-2021, 05:13 PM   #1
Rooster1
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default DC to AC Navitas conversion, proper gage wires?

Need the correct answer so I don't mess the car up.

I am installing the Navitas 5kw 600amp system. Will 2 gauge wires will do the job?

Thanks!

Rooster1
Rooster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-06-2021, 06:02 PM   #2
super jim
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: DC to AC Navitas conversion, proper gage wires?

And is a 400 amp solenoid the right choice?
super jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 07:46 AM   #3
fstop
Gone Wild

2 gauge battery wires are fine. Kit comes with motor wires.
400a Solenoid is fine.
Great motor and controller - I think you'll be happy.
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 06:42 PM   #4
super jim
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

That's what I'm going with. My cart builder said they normally use 4 ga. wires and just the stock solenoid. But then they have not installed many of the 160 AH lithium batteries. I told them I wanted 2 ga. and 400 amp solenoid.
Old 05-21-2021, 07:06 AM   #5
super jim
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

And what about the forward/reverse switch? Does it really need to be high amp? Does it flow high amperage or just activate the solenoid? I see some people install a 400 amp forward/reverse switch but I would think it's not necessary.
Old 05-21-2021, 08:57 AM   #6
fstop
Gone Wild

AFAIK the F/N/R switch, at least on the recent Precedent / Onward / Tempo carts that is a 3 position rocker switch right over the charge port, only communicates with the controller and doesn't pass any high-amp current. You can tell by the small wiring that goes to it (unless you have something different). No need to change it.
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 09:05 AM   #7
Ryokuro
Getting Wild
Yamaha

If you're ever confused/worried about what battery gauge to use, always go for 2ga
Ryokuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 09:26 AM   #8
Rooster1
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

So I did the install with the 2gauge wire just to be safe and not have any melting problems. I have the 4x12 battery set up with the center consul and 4 Trojan 1275 batteries. It is working well so far.

I have elected to completely remove the OBC from the cart and go with the Lester Summit 2 charger. The reason that I did this was to get more space in the center consul area. My 2007 Club Car Precedent has limited space. I took out the stock controller and replaced it with the Navitas controller. I could not use the mounting plate because they do not make one for my 2007. Instead, I bought a drill bit and tap from the auto part store and made my own threaded holes, then bolted it onto the center wall adjacent to the heat sink fins for better cooling. This was the recommendation from Navitas support. There was not enough room to mount the new solenoid, so I took out the stock OBC and made room for it to be mounted. This arrangement made a window, where the old OBC was, to get the solenoid mounted and also run the 2 gauge wires to the motor. The large 2 gauge wire would not fit through the hole in the stock OBC, so the best choice for me was to take it out and go with the Lester Summit 2 charger since it has better charging ability anyway. I did not want to have mixed gauges of wires for my setup.
The forward/reverse/neutral switch was kept and works well as is. I have abandoned the charging receptacle and will likely clip off the wires to keep it clean.

I hope to post some pictures soon.
Old 01-08-2022, 05:23 PM   #9
bwtoyota
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Hey Rooster1 did you have any issues mounting your 5kw motor to the 2007 precedent axel? I'm about to go down this rabbit hole and am having trouble finding information about the build. Also what solenoid did you use? Is your cart lifted
bwtoyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 01:09 PM   #10
Rooster1
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

My 2007 Club car is lifted and I have installed the heavier leaf springs in order to put a rear seat set-up. I did not have any problem fitting the Navitas AC motor, it fits perfectly without any install modifications. I got the kit from Plum Quick and they sold me the whole setup, great people.

Now I am still at the stage of hooking up the headlights, turn signals, and horn. I have installed the 48V to 12V converter but don't know how to get the wiring correct yet. Any suggestions would be good, hint hint.

Tags
battery wires ac
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car