lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-17-2014, 10:48 AM   #1
Cheesesteak
Not Yet Wild

Default Help with new batteries / cables

2005 EZ GO TXT PDS - 36V

Batteries are tired. Don't hold a charge long and are leaking. Cart gets very little use. And - the leaking batteries have corroded a couple cable ends.

Current charger is a Powerwise.

So - I'm going to put new batteries and cables in the cart.

Given the cart doesn't get a whole lot of use and will spend lots of time sitting - what's a good battery choice? Id rather not spend a ton of $$ for batteries that won't get that much use.

I'll make the cables myself - does anyone have a complete list so I can figure out a length of cable to order - and cable ends? I figure I'll get 6AWG - any real reason to go bigger for a stock cart??

Thanks-
Cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-17-2014, 11:43 AM   #2
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Help with new batteries / cables

How about selling your Powerwise charger and get a DPI charger from Scottyb http://www.cartsunlimited.net/48v_Battery_Charger.html. It has a float and that will keep your batteries fully charged at all time. You will get longer battery life also.
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 12:24 PM   #3
EZGO-MY-WALLET2
Gone Wild

I don't remember the lenth I used, but someone will get you close. I want to say 20 ft. Make sure it is welding cable with the highest strand count possible(very important). Going to the trouble to make them, I would still go with 4ga. Also with new batteries and cables, make sure to replace ALL cables and not just the battery cables.
EZGO-MY-WALLET2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 01:00 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Here is a list of 6V batteries commonly used in golf carts.

In a nutshell, get the highest AH capacity you can afford at the lowest price you can find locally.

Be sure to fully charge the new batteries prior to first use, then break them in properly to obtain maximum storage capacity.

As suggested, the DPI Accusense charger is idea for carts that aren't used much.
It float charges after the regular charge cycle finishes, so the batteries stay at 100% SoC.
With your Powerwise, you'll need to give the pack a boost charge at least once a month because Lead-Acid batteries self-discharge and if allowed to sit in a partially discharged state, the age quickly.

Also be sure to use 4Ga or thicker cables and replace all 10 of them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6 Volt Battery AH comparisons.JPG (102.4 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 04:17 PM   #5
Cheesesteak
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the input.

JohnnieB - I have that chart saved already - I was hoping to avoid pricing too many batteries. I guess I can email / fax it to a few places and have them fill in prices of batteries they have . . . .

On the cable question - 4ga it is. On length - I thought I recalled a total length of around 26' - 20' seems too short. Anyone have any thoughts?

Oh - and I guess a new charger is also in my future. ****. Sure is costing me $$ to sit there . . .

Thx -
Old 11-19-2014, 06:25 PM   #6
vagabond
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

my 96 txt DCS was about 20 ft with a little left over, series would be more, PDS ??
vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 07:24 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
my 96 txt DCS was about 20 ft with a little left over, series would be more, PDS ??
The lengths of the 10 high current cables are the same for both DCS and PDS carts.

They have a different motor and controller, but they are the same type (sepex) and they are physically located in the same places.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:10 PM   #8
Cheesesteak
Not Yet Wild

So . . .

I called around to a few local shops for batteries - and here's what I've got:

Store A:
Trojan T-105 @ $121.85ea
US 2200 @ $144.07ea.

Store B:
Trojan T-105 @ $150.36ea
US 2200 @ $135.96ea
Continental GC200P @ $126.51

Store C:
US 2200 @ $122.83ea
GS 2200 (same as US 2200 (manuf. by US Bat. - still 232AH) - just different label) @ $112.63ea

Store D:
Duracell SLIGC110 @ $99ea
Duracell SLIGC115 @ $109ea
Duracell SLIGC125 @ $124ea

My thought is . . . heck - I dunno. The US 2200 @ $122.83 - or the GS 2200 @ $112?????
Old 11-20-2014, 07:42 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The US Battery batteries and batteries made by US Battery with different labels attached, run a higher acid concentration and need a different charge profile than your charge has, to be fully charged.

Unless you upgrade to a charger that has a US Battery charge profile, the batteries will be chronically undercharged and their potential lifespan will be reduced.

US Battery cart batteries are top line items, but they do require the correct charging profile.

-----------
Compare AH vs $$$.

IE:
A Trojan T-105 is a 225AH battery for $121.85, or $0.542 per AH
A Duracell SLIGC115 is a 230AH battery for $109.00, or $0.474 per AH

I just picked a couple at random, so check the $$ per AH for the rest.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:37 PM   #10
Cheesesteak
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
The US Battery batteries and batteries made by US Battery with different labels attached, run a higher acid concentration and need a different charge profile than your charge has, to be fully charged.

Unless you upgrade to a charger that has a US Battery charge profile, the batteries will be chronically undercharged and their potential lifespan will be reduced.

US Battery cart batteries are top line items, but they do require the correct charging profile.

-----------
Compare AH vs $$$.

IE:
A Trojan T-105 is a 225AH battery for $121.85, or $0.542 per AH
A Duracell SLIGC115 is a 230AH battery for $109.00, or $0.474 per AH

I just picked a couple at random, so check the $$ per AH for the rest.
Thanks for the response. What if I picked up a DPI Accusense charger? I'm thinking about doing so anyway - seems like the GS 2200 would be the best battery if I did so.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO