lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-24-2015, 08:04 AM   #21
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 04 txt radio issues

All golf cart speed controllers generate a lot of electrical noise, and some put out more than others.
The electrical noise is both transmitted through the air and through the power lines in the cart.

Some radio receivers are more immune to one or both kinds of electrical noise than others, and some radio receivers simple will not work in golf carts.

-------------
The first step is to figure out if the noise is getting into the radio via the antenna or via the power line, or both.

If the receiver has an auxiliary input of some type (CD - MP3 - Etc.) use that instead of tuning to a radio station. If the noise is present, it is coming in via the power line. If so, ferrite beads and line filters might help.

If the noise is coming in via the antenna, the electrical noise being heard is at the same frequency as the desired radio station, and its signal strength is approach the same level, or may be stronger than the radio station.

Using an antenna designed for mounting on a fiberglass body or boat that is mounted as far away from the controller and motor may help. (If the antenna is grounded to the cart frame, it will pick us the noise generated by the controller)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-24-2015, 02:53 PM   #22
sf04txt
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
All golf cart speed controllers generate a lot of electrical noise, and some put out more than others.
The electrical noise is both transmitted through the air and through the power lines in the cart.

Some radio receivers are more immune to one or both kinds of electrical noise than others, and some radio receivers simple will not work in golf carts.

-------------
The first step is to figure out if the noise is getting into the radio via the antenna or via the power line, or both.

If the receiver has an auxiliary input of some type (CD - MP3 - Etc.) use that instead of tuning to a radio station. If the noise is present, it is coming in via the power line. If so, ferrite beads and line filters might help.

If the noise is coming in via the antenna, the electrical noise being heard is at the same frequency as the desired radio station, and its signal strength is approach the same level, or may be stronger than the radio station.

Using an antenna designed for mounting on a fiberglass body or boat that is mounted as far away from the controller and motor may help. (If the antenna is grounded to the cart frame, it will pick us the noise generated by the controller)
it works fine with the Bluetooth connection no static at all... I have a marine radio antenna, and it is in the front cowl, not grounded at all, only thing there high voltage is the key switch.

here is the antenna I have.
http://www.parts-express.com/dual-ma...m_campaign=pla

I can try more ferrite beads on the power supply but right now I have them on the power supply and the antenna close to the radio. what inline filters are you talking about johnnieb?
also any reason for the radio only saving the presets and not the settings or clock?
sf04txt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:09 PM   #23
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I suggested several times to use a portable FM broadcast radio to see if it will pick up the same noise. If it does that would eliminate the noise coming in on the carts power leads and prove the noise is in the air transmitted like the desired broadcast signal. Ferrite beads on the antenna or antenna lead is not going to help. Put them somewhere else. You will not likely eliminate all of the noise if it is being picked up by the antenna but maybe reduce it to a tolerable level with the ferrite beads by attenuating the noise signal at its source.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 07:07 AM   #24
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf04txt View Post
1. it works fine with the Bluetooth connection no static at all... I have a marine radio antenna, and it is in the front cowl, not grounded at all, only thing there high voltage is the key switch.

2. here is the antenna I have.

3. I can try more ferrite beads on the power supply but right now I have them on the power supply and the antenna close to the radio. what inline filters are you talking about johnnieb?

4. also any reason for the radio only saving the presets and not the settings or clock?
1. Okay, that means it is airborne transmission rather than power.

2. That is the one of the right types.

3. The in-line filters I was referring to attenuate interference getting in via the power supply. Your interference is airborne, so they would have no effect.

4. That is probably something that is unique to the make/model of radio you have. What does the owner's manual say about loosing date/time info?

------------
There really isn't much that can be done at the radio receiver about airborne interference other than locating the antenna as far away from the noise source as possible, listening to FM rather than AM and tuning to the stronger stations.

However, cleaning all the high current cable connections may reduce the amount of electrical noise being radiated. Could also be electrically noisy brushes in the motor.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:54 PM   #25
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

Quote:
it works fine with the Bluetooth connection no static at all... I have a marine radio antenna, and it is in the front cowl, not grounded at all, only thing there high voltage is the key switch.

here is the antenna I have.

I can try more ferrite beads on the power supply but right now I have them on the power supply and the antenna close to the radio. what inline filters are you talking about johnnieb?
also any reason for the radio only saving the presets and not the settings or clock?
Remove from antenna lead.. They attenuate RF. as well as Noise.
Leave them on power leads.
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 01:21 PM   #26
sf04txt
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

ok I just want to make sure this thing is wired up correct for the memory... here is the book... I got the red wire going to my + side of my fuse block black going to - side of fuse block and yellow wire going to a second battery + terminal for a constant 12v source.

also couldn't find anything on the manual for not saving the settings but saving presets
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wire.jpg (179.8 KB, 0 views)
sf04txt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 06:13 PM   #27
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
ok I just want to make sure this thing is wired up correct for the memory... here is the book... I got the red wire going to my + side of my fuse block black going to - side of fuse block and yellow wire going to a second battery + terminal for a constant 12v source.

also couldn't find anything on the manual for not saving the settings but saving presets
Looks like you've got it wired right.

Give Kenwood a call and ask. Their phone number is on the last page of that manual.

Tags
12volt source, f&r switch, radio
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO