lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-01-2015, 12:56 PM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2008 EzGo Electric will not reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamrock05 View Post
I guess I should also mention that I have 23" tires and 6" lift. I'm not sure if that matters for the upgrade.
The 23" tires are reducing the stock torque by about 22%, so going to a 400A controller will return the lost torque and then some.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-01-2015, 01:14 PM   #12
teamrock05
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for your time..last question from "average joe"... By upgrading everything except the motor itself, will the extra power/torque harm the original motor? It just seems odd to be getting so much more out of the stock motor. Again, I apologize for my ignorance
teamrock05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 01:48 PM   #13
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

No it will not harm the stock motor. These motors are pretty tough. In this case you are simply allowing the motor to access more amperage and removing an rpm limiter.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:21 PM   #14
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Thanks for your time..last question from "average joe"... By upgrading everything except the motor itself, will the extra power/torque harm the original motor? It just seems odd to be getting so much more out of the stock motor. Again, I apologize for my ignorance
We all had to learn this stuff at some point in time and the only dumb questions are the ones not asked.

With a PDS cart, only the controller, solenoid and high current cables (there are 10 of them) have to be upgraded.

Like Scotty said, the stock PDS motor is fairly tough. Just stay below about 400A throughput on the controller and don't go above 48V for the battery pack.

The reason you gain any speed by going to an aftermarket controller is because the stock PDS controller monitored the motor RPM and limited it to about 4,400RPM. With stock tires, that is about 18MPH. With your 23" tires, that would be 24.2MPH mathematically, but you probably aren't getting that for a top speed because taller tires take more torque to turn and your motor probably isn't reaching the RPM limit imposed by the stock PDS controller.

When a controller that doesn't limit the motor's RPM is installed, a stock PDS motor will reach about 5,600 with 36V applied while running on stock height tires (18"), which is about 24MPH. However, with the 23", your top speed at 36V may not be much higher than whatever it is now.

You low end torque will increase going from a 300A stock PDS controller to a 400A (or larger) controller, so the acceleration from a standstill will be better.

Addition speed and torque can be obtained by going to a higher pack voltage, but you have to replace the battery charger also.
Old 05-02-2015, 07:42 AM   #15
teamrock05
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

You all make it sound simple haha. Is there any reason why a stock controller cost way more than an entire upgrade kit? Will it hurt anything to continue to run my golf cart like it is for now because I dont have the extra money to do anything to it right now but eventualy I will want to upgrade!
teamrock05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 07:50 AM   #16
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

No, my neighbor did that for a year before he decided to replace it.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 08:50 AM   #17
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
You all make it sound simple haha.

1. Is there any reason why a stock controller cost way more than an entire upgrade kit?

2. Will it hurt anything to continue to run my golf cart like it is for now because I dont have the extra money to do anything to it right now but eventualy I will want to upgrade!
1. Greed.

You run into similar pricing situations with just about everything. IE: Buying an oil filter for your GM car (or FoMoCo or Mopar) from a factory authorized dealer costs more than the same or better item from NAPA or other auto parts store.

2. Maybe your back might get sore from pushing it in reverse, but nothing in the cart other than the already failing controller may get worse.

The reverse mode of the controller is failing, probably due to the over-sized tires, so it may go out completely and the forward mode may start to go bad, but you can very likely drive it until it stops without taking anything else out.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO