lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-08-2015, 06:50 PM   #11
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Re: Why did my cable melt

I had my right arm calibrated in FT\LBS back in 1973 so that over\under torque settings could not occur. However, I have not had my forearm adjusted or tested since. I've fallen off many a bar stool since....and this could.....mind you....could have caused a reason for re-calibration. OTOH, when the vision starts to go.....does it really matter anyway?
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-08-2015, 08:12 PM   #12
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

DaveTM. Now you need to get recalibrate in in/lbs. To help you along the way I got a circular in the mail from Harbor Freight. They are having a sale on torque wrenches this week. You can get a 200 in/lb for $9.88. It clicks when the torque is reached so that bad eyesight won't hinder you.
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 11:16 AM   #13
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjance View Post
DaveTM. Now you need to get recalibrate in in/lbs. To help you along the way I got a circular in the mail from Harbor Freight. They are having a sale on torque wrenches this week. You can get a 200 in/lb for $9.88. It clicks when the torque is reached so that bad eyesight won't hinder you.
Well.....actually I do have a Wheeler torque wrench for mounting rifle scopes. But it's max is 65-in\lbs. The T-105's max is 95-105 in\lbs. So....I suppose I could just max out the Wheeler wrench.....then give it just a "tad" more. I'm never a fan of trusting a $9.99 torque wrench on a battery that cost $100 or more. That could just be me......I dunno.
Old 05-09-2015, 05:24 PM   #14
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Agreed, but heat will tell the story. I prolly slightly under-torque mine. As long as it doesn't get hot/warm, it's tight enough. Too tight and there will be physical damage.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 08:40 PM   #15
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Here's a pic of my old HD F\R switch. I now have a SD contactor in place. This is what heat will do to a not so good contact

Old 05-09-2015, 09:11 PM   #16
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

A Harbor Freight torque wrench is better than no torque wrench.
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 10:51 PM   #17
woodrow256
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Every night when i go to bed, i thank god for Harbor Freight. Its like Disneyland for men. Carry on.
woodrow256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 06:34 AM   #18
farmboy1942
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Nut driver is a real good idea.I've not ever thought of that and I have got zapped before.
Thanks yurtle
farmboy1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:34 AM   #19
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmboy1942 View Post
Nut driver is a real good idea.I've not ever thought of that and I have got zapped before.
Thanks yurtle
My only "caution" here would be to use a ratchet with a 1/4" drive. The small drive ratchet's have a bit more "feel" to them when your working with delicate small "stuff" especially if you should be using a torque wrench.....but are to cheap to actually buy one. Using a larger drive will usually get you into trouble.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:59 AM   #20
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
My only "caution" here would be to use a ratchet with a 1/4" drive. The small drive ratchet's have a bit more "feel" to them when your working with delicate small "stuff" especially if you should be using a torque wrench.....but are to cheap to actually buy one. Using a larger drive will usually get you into trouble.
My batteries have lead posts with bolt holes through them, so the torque isn't quite as touchy, and I found a 1/4" drive ratchet with a rubber handle whose overall length is only about 3" in a sale bin for $2.00.

When I was running T-105 batteries, I used a 1/4" drive with a screwdriver handle, but now the bolts are horizontal instead of vertical and the little ratchet works better for me.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO