lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-11-2015, 08:34 PM   #1
horn12007
Not Yet Wild

Default No movement - new batteries

So I'm working on a neighbors 92 Ezgo Marathon. He very very recently replaced all batteries. Drove it out to 1 hole and lost all power.

I started testing and was getting power to the motor (tested the leads at the starter). The golf course technician agreed with me that it was probably the motor, so we got another What a shocker it didn't fix it.

So the motor is not turning. The rearend is free and not locked up. I messed with it for a while today running some tests with a multi-meter. The batteries are all good. They are all hooked up correctly and tight. I personally removed all the leads and re-cleaned and tightened. The Forward/Neutral/Reverse switch feels tight.

So I did some testing again down by the motor. I removed the motor and tested the cables where they would hook up to the motor. (used the main negative terminal as ground)

A1 - Power at all times
A2 - Only gets power in Neutral
S2 - Only power in Forward and pedal up (NOT PUSHED DOWN)
S1 - Only power in Reverse and pedal up (NOT PUSHED DOWN)
36-38 volts iirc

Now it seems like when they were all connected to the motor there were different readings. I do remember the first time testing, there would be power when you pushed down the pedal (all hooked up). No power when up.

One weird thing I noticed is if I put it in reverse, and key off, the reverse noise worked. I'm assuming the key switch is just worn and staying on.

Anyways, where should I start looking. I just downloaded a wiring schematic and I guess there is a micro switch back by the horn I should check?

Also, not all the time, but some of the time, the wheels would spin maybe a 1/2 inch (very small amount) in forward when the pedal is pushed. It happened several times, but don't really know what that means.

Any ideas are appreciated.
horn12007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-12-2015, 09:31 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: No movement - new batteries

Welcome to BGW!

Let's start with the basics.
With key ON and F/R in F, does the solenoid click when the pedal is pushed?

If it doesn't, the problem is in the solenoid activation circuit, which is highlighted on the first attachment.

If it does, the problem is in the high current circuit, which is highlighted on the second attachment.

To trouble shoot the high current circuit, with all cables and wires connected, connect your DVM between the M- and B- terminals on the controller.

With Key ON, F/R in F and pedal pushed just far enough for solenoid to click, you should read FULL pack voltage. (Note: If there is a resistor connected between the large terminals on the solenoid, you will read a few volts less than FULL pack voltage before the solenoid clicks. We are interested in the voltage reading after the solenoid clicks.)

If not, use the test lead that was attached to the M- terminal to trace the heavy cable connection back to the main positive terminal on the battery pack. It is a single current path and when you find the pack voltage, the open cable, connection or contact is between that point and the previous one that didn't have the voltage.

BTW: The reverse beeper sound whenever the F/R is in R, unless the battery is disconnected.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pot Box cart with KSI traced.JPG (121.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Pot Box cart with high current circuit traced.JPG (124.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:14 AM   #3
horn12007
Not Yet Wild

Thanks a ton.

I don't remember hearing a click at all. In regards to the solenoid circuit, let's say I am getting power to the solenoid (from the red wire), but no power is getting through to the blue. Can I do like a car solenoid and jump it to see if I get power?

Thanks for the help. I just need to get this thing to my garage. Will do more testing today as your notes and see what happens
Old 05-12-2015, 11:05 AM   #4
horn12007
Not Yet Wild

No click,

I checked the red wire at the solenoid and it had 38v. I then checked the blue wire (on schematic) and it gave me no power. I noticed it ends up going to the ground. It had ground continuity. Can i jump the solenoid? I have a feeling i shouldn't jump the red and blue....
Old 05-12-2015, 12:00 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

There are four terminals on the solenoid. The two smaller ones are the coil and the two larger ones are the high current contacts.

You can jumper across the larger ones (high current contacts), but not the smaller ones (coil). Doing so would put a dead short from the main positive and negative posts on the battery pack through a couple sets of switch contacts, probably vaporizing them.

There is, or should be, a diode between the two small terminals. The banded end of the diode should face the wire with positive voltage on it. If it is installed backwards, the solenoid won't click. (Also rough on the contacts in the keyswitch, MS-2 and the pedal switch.)

Pull all the 18ga wires and the diode off the solenoid's small terminals. Then jump battery main positive to one small terminal and battery main negative to the other small terminal. The solenoid should click. If it doesn't, it's bad.

----------------
Since you are getting ~38V to one of the small terminals, the three likely possibilities are:
1. The Diode is backwards.
2. The coil is open.
3. The wire on the other small terminal to ground is open somewhere. (From what you said, this wire is grounded, so it's 1 or 2)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:18 PM   #6
horn12007
Not Yet Wild

Don't worry, I didn't jump the small ones. lol

1. Unless the magic golf course fairy changed the diode, it should be fine. It was never touched and worked for 20 years. HAHA

2. More than likely!

3. Yes, the coil is grounded. 100% sure of that.

I did a few more tests that all point to a bad solenoid.

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!!!
Old 05-12-2015, 12:31 PM   #7
CedzGo
Gone Wild

You are in good hands with JonnieB.

I just wanted to drop by to say Welcomed aboard!!!
CedzGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:57 PM   #8
horn12007
Not Yet Wild

Thanks. I don't plan on being here often! lol, but who knows. I prefer working on and selling cars. **** you guys opened a can of worms. Now I'm going to start buying golf carts!
Old 05-12-2015, 08:45 PM   #9
horn12007
Not Yet Wild

Hell yea! Thanks a lot.

Definitely was the Solenoid. Thanks again!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO