lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-24-2016, 01:24 PM   #1
mjroman20
Gone Wild

Default Stock Excel/Eric Control

Has anyone running a Curtis 1515 stock control an their ClubCar had a scenario where a speed sensor fault in the current fault list but the vehicle was not inhibited to a limp mode?

Someone had once mentioned to me they had issues using a high speed magnet with this control under the assumption it was monitoring the speed in multiple ways, such as the field or armature PWM or current draw.

I have a couple of 1515 controls now that will work perfectly fine with no speed sensor connected. The fault shows up in the active code list yet the vehicle still runs its full speed.
mjroman20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-24-2016, 01:59 PM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Stock Excel/Eric Control

You must be referring to the new "white" Curtis 1515-5206 controller.

Have You tried it with a speed magnet?

The speed magnet incompatibility is with the Excel "Grey" Curtis 1515-5201.

It would be nice to know if they removed the Regen speed check the 1515-5201 controller did that was very effective in preventing the use of a speed magnet in the Excel models that used that controller.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 02:53 PM   #3
mjroman20
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
You must be referring to the new "white" Curtis 1515-5206 controller.

Have You tried it with a speed magnet?

The speed magnet incompatibility is with the Excel "Grey" Curtis 1515-5201.

It would be nice to know if they removed the Regen speed check the 1515-5201 controller did that was very effective in preventing the use of a speed magnet in the Excel models that used that controller.
The ones running fine without the tach are the 5201 (grey units). I havent had much experience with the 5206s
Old 05-24-2016, 03:27 PM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I know they used the Grey 5201 with the OnBoard high frequency charger, but I was under the impression the Eric charger only worked with the White 5206 that does not have an OBC interface....

Do You know the serial number of the cart it came off of it?
Old 05-25-2016, 07:45 AM   #5
mjroman20
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
I know they used the Grey 5201 with the OnBoard high frequency charger, but I was under the impression the Eric charger only worked with the White 5206 that does not have an OBC interface....

Do You know the serial number of the cart it came off of it?
Unfortunately I don't have any SNs.

The diagram I have for the ERIC system does not have an OBC as you had said, yet it uses the same exact pin as a charger interlock, so I don't see any reason it shouldn't work. On the EXCEL that pin runs to the OBC on the ERIC it runs to a 10k pull-up to B+ and the charger port, which implies the charger pulls voltage off that pin when connected. Looks like there is also a bullet connector in there so you could potentially 'disable' the interlock function.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:08 AM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

That sounds more like a by-pass then the newer circuit.

The 10kΩ resistor is "pulling up" the voltage on the Controller Pin #5 (normally blue wire from OBC) to +48v.

Pin #5 is also connected to the "sense pin" on the charger receptacle.

The charger "Sense Pin" is connected to the negative lead inside the charger.

When the charger is plugged in, it brings the voltage on Controller Pin #5 to Low, which causes the controller to be on "Lockout Mode".

The OBC also controlled the battery battery warning light system which on the new ERIC carts is now a function of the 5206 Controller.

The reason I said this is a by-pass or patch is that since the 'Lockout pin' is always hot-wired to +48v when the charger is not plugged in, there is no way to put the cart electronics to sleep like the OBC did after not sensing the charger plugged in for more than 3 days.

It seems very unusual for Club Car to have a firmware version that on the absence of speed pulses it would default to full power.

Certainly interesting behavior you are getting from those controllers.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:36 AM   #7
mjroman20
Gone Wild

The one other thing I had noticed between the 1510 to 1515 was the removal of the speed sensor dedicated ground pin. The 1515 uses this as a LIN communication line for some sort of GPS / display.

Since this pin is no longer there they tied the speed sensor low in with the accelerator...which is fine for the 1515 since its a true ground. But every other Curits control uses a 453ohm inline there, so this ends up causing issues with switching back to a 1510 or upgrading to the 1268 or 1520. Not sure if this may be in any way related to the behavior I am seeing now.

Tags
1515, eric, excel, precedent
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car