lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-15-2016, 08:10 PM   #1
Lehigh07
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 86 club car speed coil glowd red and cart is real jumpy in acceleration

Coil on passenger glows red
Lehigh07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-15-2016, 08:59 PM   #2
clubcart
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 86 club car speed coil glowd red and cart is real jumpy in acceleration

I have an 89 DS, I'm sure the jumpy feeling varies from motor to motor but mine also jerks when accelerating. As far as the glowing red, the coils will get hot, that is their job. Just make sure to clean any corrosion off of them if you have any. Once enough rust forms it might start melting through the coils, which happened to me a few days ago.
clubcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:07 PM   #3
clubcart
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 86 club car speed coil glowd red and cart is real jumpy in acceleration

One thing is should ask, does it get hot when driving full speed? Sorry for the double post.
clubcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:53 PM   #4
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

to BGW

Does this cart have the five solenoid setup, or does it have a v-glide? A v-glide is a black pie shaped box between the batteries. If you don't have that, then you have the 5 solenoid setup, with a solenoid under each coil. If you have this setup, then some of your solenoids may not be firing, causing the jumpy acceleration.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 04:48 AM   #5
Lehigh07
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

It has the 5 soleniod setup, i just replaced all the soleniods and coil, because last coil got so hot it exploded, new one gets hot within seconds!!
Old 06-16-2016, 07:37 AM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Since You already replaced all of the solenoids, the issue is the micro-switch inside the speed box.

The micro-switch inside of the speed box that is aligned with the "shortest finger" is the one not working.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:00 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I agree - you may notice you are not reaching top speed either. You can jack a wheel up off the floor, remove the seat, and press the gas pedal by hand. You should hear all 5 solenoids click as the pedal is depressed. 1st click will not turn the wheels, it's a master unit that powers the other 4 speeds (solenoids). Each solenoid should click in order and the wheels should go a little faster with each click. Careful not to over rev the motor.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:25 AM   #8
Lehigh07
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks i will check that tonight
Old 06-22-2016, 07:38 PM   #9
Lehigh07
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Ok so now the the 2 coils on left side , looking from front of cart , which are on the passenger side get real hot , what could be causing that , i put all new micro switchs in and new soleniods!!!
Old 06-22-2016, 09:04 PM   #10
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

The coils are supposed to get very hot. They are resistors limiting the motor current at less than full speed.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car