lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-29-2016, 07:56 AM   #1
mhebert4224
Not Yet Wild

Default DPI charger problems

I had the charger outside this weekend charging the cart. Had an unexpected rain storm come through before I could move the charger. It started buzzing so I pulled the power to it and let it dry over night. Hooked it to the cart the next morning and the charger comes on and the top red light blinks but the bottom yellow doesn't come on? Any way to trouble shoot or is the charger toast?
mhebert4224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-29-2016, 08:48 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: DPI charger problems

the only major components in there are the transformer and the control board. servicing the parts on the board is not likely. i would check for power output from the transformer, if its good, the control board is likely not good. the board should cost you less than $150. the transformer was not likely damaged, but should be checked during "process of elimination".
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 11:39 AM   #3
mhebert4224
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
the only major components in there are the transformer and the control board. servicing the parts on the board is not likely. i would check for power output from the transformer, if its good, the control board is likely not good. the board should cost you less than $150. the transformer was not likely damaged, but should be checked during "process of elimination".
I may just replace the charger. My current is a 48v 17amp. I noticed they had some 20amp Lester chargers for a $50 more. Would this help to speed up the charging process? Or stick with the 17amp?

Thanks
mhebert4224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:52 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

roughly 17% reduced charge time. i dont know if i would consider it a worth while trade off to lose "float mode" that dpi has to keep batteries full while sitting.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 06:09 PM   #5
Brianflys
Not Yet Wild

What " float mode"? G29, 2010. I bought a DPI charger new last year and have never seen a float mode. My batteries are also only 6 months old,. 6 x 8v. US Batt. After full charge, they lose about 0.1-2 v per day, starting at 51.9 and dropping to 51.0 with no apparent "float". Saw nothing about this in the instructions. Where is the float? Thanks very much!

Edit. Manual says it stops the charge when full, then if not disconnected after 28 days, charges again to full. Hardly "keeps the batteries at full charge" and not trickle charging. Can lose a lot of voltage jist sitting for in 28 days...

http://www.dpipower.com/store/MNUL/General_Chargers.pdf
Brianflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 06:50 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The DPI Accusense goes from charge to float to recharge to float and repeat every 28 days.
So your charger may not have been working properly initially if it had no float mode. Sounds like a new control board would fix a couple of problems.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:14 PM   #7
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Are you sure it is an Accusence model? DPI makes some OE style replacements that do not have the float mode.
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:16 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by teecro View Post
Are you sure it is an Accusence model? DPI makes some OE style replacements that do not have the float mode.
Good point. Like the CC OBC compatible model.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 09:21 PM   #9
Brianflys
Not Yet Wild

Ah, thanks. I'll look at it over the weekend and see what model I have. Then check the warranty since it's only about 6 months old.

Edit. Just checked my Amazon orders and this definitely is an Accusense model, bought in January 2016. I'll contact DPI for warranty assistance.

Thanks again!

Last edited by Brianflys; 09-02-2016 at 09:43 PM.. Reason: update
Brianflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 09:56 PM   #10
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianflys View Post
Ah, thanks. I'll look at it over the weekend and see what model I have. Then check the warranty since it's only about 6 months old.

Edit. Just checked my Amazon orders and this definitely is an Accusense
model, bought in January 2016. I'll contact DPI for warranty assistance.

Thanks again!
That does not mean you were shipped the correct charger....

But DPI has had a few lemons come out here and there too!
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha