lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-06-2016, 05:41 PM   #1
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default 16v to 12v reducer help

hey,

I'm installing a radio in a 48v club car DS, and I noticed the car's 16v to 12v reducer was not hooked up. I was told this rectangular type reducer is from the factory so the factory lights could be powered (picture attached). I know I can pick any 2 batteries to use, but I'm not exactly sure how to connect both sides. If someone could show me by editing my drawing I would appreciate it. Also, I quickly hooked up the radio to make sure I identified the right wires using alligator clips. When I did the clock on the radio came on. But stupid me, I reversed the ground wire and the 12v wire and got a spark and blew the fuse on the radio. I replaced the fuse, and now when I try to test the radio with my alligator clips, the radio will not display the time anymore .

I'm not convinced that I ruined the radio, but I'm hoping that when I properly connect the wires it will be ok....

thanks for your help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16 to 12 reducer.jpg (26.7 KB, 0 views)
yamahaguy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-06-2016, 07:21 PM   #2
Roxyflash
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 16v to 12v reducer help

I would test the radio on your car battery 12 volts
Roxyflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:08 PM   #3
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

The reducer is used as the negative side of the power source. Go from that down stream to pick up 16 volts on the positive side. The reducer hooked to pack negative on one end of it. The other end of reducer is the negative for the radio. Get positive for radio from battery number 4 positive. Use fuse in line on the positive side.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:25 PM   #4
Patela2oh
Gone Wild

Are you sure it's 16v to 12v? Mine came with factory 48 to 12

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Patela2oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 09:52 PM   #5
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

No I'm not sure it's 16 to 12 as there are no markings on it. I'm just assuming it is because when I had it right it did not blow the fuse. I should have never touched the radio once I had the right wires hooked up because now I'm concerned I ruined it because the clock display won't come on now
Old 12-08-2016, 09:56 PM   #6
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

It's a 16 to 12 based on the drawing you posted... Here's how it hooks up...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16 12 reducer wiring.jpg (49.8 KB, 0 views)
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:12 PM   #7
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
It's a 16 to 12 based on the drawing you posted... Here's how it hooks up...

Thanks to all for your input. Tahoedawgz thanks for the diagram, it appears I had it installed correctly but it was a bad unit, no output voltage coming from it. Just curious but the negative wire going to the -B on the controller could also go to the main - on the pack correct?

Thanks
Old 12-09-2016, 07:31 PM   #8
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Don't want to jack this thread, but perhaps it will help yamahaguy too.
Bought and restored a 48v DS. There is a voltage reducer in the cart I'm not using. Have no lights etc. at this point. The reducer is marked 24v on one side and 12v on the other. From other things I have read, and reducers I have looked at buying, all are 36v, 48v, or both. I thought these things should be hooked to the entire pack to prevent drawing unequally from the batteries. Can somebody explain this? Thanks.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 08:01 PM   #9
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
Don't want to jack this thread, but perhaps it will help yamahaguy too.
Bought and restored a 48v DS. There is a voltage reducer in the cart I'm not using. Have no lights etc. at this point. The reducer is marked 24v on one side and 12v on the other. From other things I have read, and reducers I have looked at buying, all are 36v, 48v, or both. I thought these things should be hooked to the entire pack to prevent drawing unequally from the batteries. Can somebody explain this? Thanks.
If it's a 36-48 to 12 volt reducer, this is true. There's more than one style. The 16 to 12 volt reducer only uses two batteries. It's good for people who have headlights that don't use them very often.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:01 PM   #10
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaguy97 View Post
Just curious but the negative wire going to the -B on the controller could also go to the main - on the pack correct?

Thanks
Indeed it could, but the OBC wouldn't be able to monitor the voltage removed from the battery pack if it were hooked up there.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car