lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-25-2017, 07:51 AM   #1
Harrison1982
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default G29 Rear End Swap

Need help! I'm getting under my cart for the first time today and it's going to be extensive. The current rear is locking up after a few seconds. It completely locks up till I push the parking break and manually push it forward. I was also having bearing noise when I accelerated prior to it locking up.

I read some stuff on here that makes me think it could be that POS motor. Just other threads. Some have suggested it was a bearing replacement here and a few other things.

I just bought a complete rear end, and I'm hoping that works for now till I have some time to take a closer look at the old one.

I'm looking for pointers on this R/I. There is nothing when I search the site or google for removing/installing a rear end on a G29. Any advice is helpful. The guy I bought it from in PA was helpful and said there is something that I have to spool when I instal the motor into the new rear. Just looking for advice..

Thanks
Harrison1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-25-2017, 07:54 AM   #2
Harrison1982
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G29 Rear End Swap

Should I try and replace the bearings before I swap the rear? I've seen some videos on youtube that are for a different cart, again nothing for mine. I'm going to go get set up but I'll check back before I start working.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:05 AM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Bearings are very unlikely to be your problem. Especially when we know about a known problem that will cause what you describe (white tag axle gear failure)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:48 PM   #4
Harrison1982
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Bearings are very unlikely to be your problem. Especially when we know about a known problem that will cause what you describe (white tag axle gear failure)
I can't find the white tag anywhere, and now I'm scared I might have two of these rears but I dunno. But I was way off with this one, I didn't need to buy that rear at all.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:14 AM   #5
Harrison1982
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default G29 Rear Locking Up

So the rear end was not the problem at all, it was the suspension.

The G29 electric uses a brake cable to engage the brakes. I somehow managed to snap a welded tab on the frame which holds a triangular bracket which at it's lowest point holds a crossmember that positively locates the entire rear end. It that bar is disconnected, you can pull the cart side to side and it will move very far away from the entire rear end.

When I would hit a bump, the bracket would give way (it was bolted to that broken frame tab and also bolted one other place to the frame which is why it didn't fall all the way out). This caused the rear end to disorient. The passenger side rear wheel would start rubbing the body panels because that side of the rear was shoved forward. The driver's side of the rear slid backwards and even though it was only an inch, it was enough to engage that brake cable. Thus the wheels locked up. I though a ball bearing was crushed because I didn't know what else would cause the tire to start rubbing besides a bent axel or at least some travel outside of the normal spin of the axel. You were right CGTech, it was not the bearings!

I'm all welded up now and ready for camping this week!

The first picture is of the triangular bracket which connects to the bar that holds the rear in place

The second picture is the inside angle of the tab that bolts to that bracket which was cracked but this is after it was welded.

The last picture of of the bracket which is now welded on it's sides to the actual frame. So two welds for the bracket to the frame, the tab is welded back together and then bolted back to the bracket.

I'm guessing this triangular bracket was aftermarket with this POS RHOX lift suspension and is now a permanent piece of the golf cart. I would replace the suspension if that was not the case.

I hope this helps someone out there one day. I wish I could change the name of this thread from G29 Rear End Swap to G29 Rear Locking Up. Hopefully that sticks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Golf Cart 1.jpg (350.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Golf Cart 3.jpg (238.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Golf Cart 4.jpg (137.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-27-2017, 12:11 PM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Fyi- the tag will be on top of this rib, near the fill plug.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170727_101043.jpg (512.3 KB, 0 views)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
g29 rear end swap
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha