lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-03-2018, 02:30 PM   #1
Rescue1
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Am I expecting too much?

So I'll start with the basics. 1998 Yamaha G16E with the following changes:
6"" RHOX lift
22" tires
Stock GE motor
Changed from 36v to 48v by using 6 8v batteries
Changed to a new FnR contactor set up (SW182)
Changed main contactor to a 400A
New 4g battery cables.
New 4g cables to motor connections from FnR contactor
New Trojan 8v batteries

It has a Alltrax 4834 controller that was installed prior to my ownership.

After putting this all together it has rather lack luster performance. It just seems weak. I checked the speed at a blistering 10 mph max.

So I checked the usual suspects. Double checked all the battery connections. Double checked the main contactor connections. Double checked the FnR contactor connections. Double checked the motor connections.

This led me to the conclusion the either the motor or controller is not very good.

Pack voltage- 49.73v
controller voltage- 49.74v
FnR voltage- 50.64v

Throttle variable switch check- at rest- 116 ohms
Throttle variable switch check- full throttle- 1080 ohms

Checked the motor terminals
A1 to A2 has continuity
S1 to S2 has continuity
No continuity to case of any terminal
No continuity from A1 to either S terminal
No continuity from S1 to either A terminal
Using an nonscientific test I used a digital tach to measure the tire RPM and there is no big difference between full throttle with controller or jumping from the S2 terminal directly to pack negative. I have not inspected the brushes yet.

Using the controller software from Alltrax I checked the settings of the controller.
HPD yes
plug brake no
turbo no
1/2 speed no
max output fully to right (100%)
Undervolt 46v
Overvolt 60v
Throttle up 5
Throttle down 5
Brake current N/A
Top speed fully to right (100%)

Using the diagnostic screen it showed pack voltage same as battery gauge. It showed the throttle percentages change as expected while moving pedal. With the cart on jack stands it showed around 40 amps output (?) at full throttle. While dragging the brakes to simulate a load, the output did not change much.

I realize that putting bigger tires and wheels on this cart would cause a lack of performance. I also realize that the 4834 controller is a stock replacement and isn't the best choice for this application. Is this the best I can expect with the current set up or am I missing something? A new controller is probably gonna happen after tax time. I'm leaning towards a SR48500 from Scotty, just gotta pay some other bills first. Please let me know your thoughts, thanks in advance.
Rescue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-03-2018, 03:52 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Am I expecting too much?

It does sound pretty lackluster even a stock controller should eventually get up to 12-14mph plus the tire size increase.
Would be nice to know the battery pack voltage when the cart is floored going uphill.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 04:44 PM   #3
Rescue1
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

By the dash gauge: 50.6 key on, 48.3 flat ground, 45.3 uphill at stall.

I forgot to add on the first post. The LED on controller does not light up at all even though the controller "works."
Old 02-03-2018, 05:24 PM   #4
Rescue1
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Just a thought, could I use a clamp on style ammeter to see what kind of amps the motor is drawing?
Old 02-03-2018, 06:34 PM   #5
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Not to jump into the cadence and flow of the thread with a side-note, but with an AllTrax XCT 48400 (which Scotty is the "go-to" guy for) and a custom extended, triple-banded rebuilt/redesigned motor from Chuck at EMP We have a G-22 (*very much* the same cart) that sh*ts and GETS, 36.8mph top end running on 20.5" rear tires and 18" fronts ... Before EMP sent out the custom Motor we ran the stock GE with just the AllTrax upgrade (and some reasonable settings) and still got 22mph all day. I've seen battery packs fall out a LOT worse, so if my 2 cents counts I would say yeah, something seems wrong.

Likely the least-helpful thread I have posted in awhile, LOL - just wanted to reinforce that yes, your cart is easily capable of a LOT more, even if You start with the controller and ride that GE motor til it dies
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 06:45 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

BCM your cart is Sepex drive and his is Series. SO even with a custom motor his will less speed.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:26 PM   #7
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Oh Hell, didn't think of that ... Was just trying to lend some "inspiration". Mi Culpa, Carry On
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 07:56 PM   #8
Rescue1
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I’m now even more “inspired” to figure this out. Lol

I’m going to put it on the charger overnight and check each battery voltage individually. I don’t know how to load test 6v batteries so I’d have to take them out and take them back to the dealer to check them.

Last edited by Rescue1; 02-03-2018 at 08:01 PM.. Reason: Felt “inspired” to add more.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:12 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue1 View Post
I’m now even more “inspired” to figure this out. Lol

I’m going to put it on the charger overnight and check each battery voltage individually. I don’t know how to load test 6v batteries so I’d have to take them out and take them back to the dealer to check them.
NOooooo .... The cart is the best load tester. Little HF testers pull 50 amps. Automotive testers pull 100 amps but the golf cart can pull 350 amps when launched up hill. Bottom line is the cart is the best tester. Simply attach a voltmeter to a battery and launch uphill while watching the meter. Record the lowest reading and move to the next battery.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:50 PM   #10
Rescue1
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Ok so to clear, leave the pack connected and test each battery voltage under load? That sounds too easy.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha