lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-23-2018, 01:55 PM   #1
vartz04
Getting Wild

Default G19 Still Slow up Hills, New Batteries, Alltrax 400 Amp, 4 Gauge Cables

Alright so here is where we are at/the history.

Bought the cart with 8 year old batteries, they still worked but it is what it is. I put on a 400 Amp Controller and 4 Ga cables for the batteries, motor etc. Full Set. It was still slower than snot up hills, would hit 20 MPH on a slight downhill though. I figure its the old batteries not putting out enough amps to allow the controller to push the motor to handle hills/added weight.

So Monday I go to costco and get a set of brand new 8v interstate batteries , Hook them up, Charge them until the charger shut off and go run the big hill by my house to see if there is any improvement, still only at about 7-8 mph up that hill, and even the slight hills are slowing the cart. Basically can't get near 20 MPH unless a slight down hill still.

I repeated this test yesterday after another full charge same result.

Now I know batteries have a break in period but do they really act like 8 year old batteries during that? Let me know what info you may need to help me. I can do a log while driving it tonight when I get home so you can see what the voltage/amperage is doing. My wife is a little upset that i told her new batteries would make it run better up hills and it isnt.
vartz04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-23-2018, 03:38 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Help Please - G19 Still Slow up Hills, New Batteries, Alltrax 400 Amp, 4 Gauge Ca

Drive it, then feel the wires, their ends, and the solenoid to detect heat.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:20 PM   #3
vartz04
Getting Wild

Default Re: Help Please - G19 Still Slow up Hills, New Batteries, Alltrax 400 Amp, 4 Gauge Ca

No heat anywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-23-2018, 08:31 PM   #4
cgtech

Yamaha

Ok, clip meter leads to battery terminals main B+ and B-, drive up your nemesis hill, while having a passenger observe the lowest seen during the hill. Then move the meter leads to the controller B+ and B-, repeat test. Finally move the meter negative lead to the M- or A2 lead (whichever your controller has), repeat test.
Post results for analysis.
We are looking for any variation between the 3.

Also, who's controller do you have?
Old 05-23-2018, 09:52 PM   #5
vartz04
Getting Wild

Default Help Please - G19 Still Slow up Hills, New Batteries, Alltrax 400 Amp, 4 Gauge Cables

So we are clear and I am not expecting to much I ran up the hill one more time. Slowed to 8.4 miles an hour on a 900 foot long 30’ incline. In the cart was me my wife and two little kids totaling maybe 400lbs max

I will attempt to do those. My meter doesn’t have clamps just probes so I’ll have to get a new one.

The controller is the xct400 from alltrax that I bought from ScottyB

Old 05-23-2018, 11:09 PM   #6
cgtech

Yamaha

Or get some new probes for your meter, unless it's a real low end one not worth upgrading. The ends are generally all the same and plug into the same "banana plug" socket.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:11 AM   #7
vartz04
Getting Wild

Okay I’ll see if I can find some of those locally. Does slowing to 8.4 MPH on that hill sound right? I mean maybe all this testing is for nothing.

Old 05-24-2018, 11:17 AM   #8
cgtech

Yamaha

8.4 is pretty slow
Old 05-24-2018, 08:12 PM   #9
vartz04
Getting Wild

That’s what I thought. I got some alligator clips that will work with my meter so I will give this a shot tomorrow.

Old 05-25-2018, 01:38 PM   #10
vartz04
Getting Wild

Well what I got for clips won’t work but I ran a log on the controller while it was plugged into my computer. Lowest voltage on the battery was 45.9 and until that point the motor and battery voltages were equal. Then it kept pulling apart until a max difference of 46.3 on the batteries and 44.6 on the motor.

What boggles me is why am I pulling a max of 130 amps????

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha