lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-28-2018, 12:06 PM   #1
baller32
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default voltage Reducer Ground

Installed a voltage reducer on my 48v 2010 club cart. I guess I thought it was very easy install. Two wires connect to carts batter just as shown on directions. Wired up my usb charger plug and a switch for my lights and went to plug in unit and nothing. Can I ground my switch and USB to the frame on the cart or does that aluminium not ground properly?
baller32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-28-2018, 12:33 PM   #2
Hunter450
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: voltage Reducer Ground

Never ground to the cart frame. Wire the negative wire on the 48 volt input side to the B- connection on the controller. This establishes a single grounding point for the entire system.
Hunter450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 03:31 PM   #3
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

And pick you up a buss bar to run a single Main Neg (-) too and then all of your 12v accessories can be terminated to that buss bar for all your needs....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 07:44 AM   #4
baller32
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks guys, I have a buss bar, but it looks like I have to split the incoming wires to every open spot I want to wire up? Did a get the wrong type of buss bar?
baller32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 08:36 AM   #5
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Every 12V accessory you add will have a ground and that ground will go to the buss bar. The power side will go to a fuse panel.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 05:05 AM   #6
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by baller32 View Post
Installed a voltage reducer on my 48v 2010 club cart. I guess I thought it was very easy install. Two wires connect to carts batter just as shown on directions. Wired up my usb charger plug and a switch for my lights and went to plug in unit and nothing. Can I ground my switch and USB to the frame on the cart or does that aluminium not ground properly?
The voltage reducer should be wired with the 48V positive going to the positive terminal on No 1 battery; the 48V negative then goes to the black cable with the yellow bullet connector which should be visible between the battery pack and the OBC. This is the B- connection and that connection ensures that the OBC knows how much power is used by the reducer so that it can make sure that the charger puts it back.

The 12V leads from the reducer will go to the accessories, usually via a bus-bar for the negatives and a fuse box for the positives. Each accessory positive will go to the +12V from the reducer and each accessory negative will go back to the -12V from the reducer.

As others have said, the chassis on a golf cart is never used to ground the accessories (unlike a car) but each accessory has a positive and a negative cable going back TO THE REDUCER. Think of the reducer as a 12V battery and all the accessories go back to it. It is only the reducer itself that is connected to the 48V system.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 01:20 PM   #7
Kolassus
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Help!!! I finally got around to putting the negative of the voltage reducer to the B- of the controller. I drove for maybe 400 yards then parked for a minute, and now nothing.

The solenoid will not even engage. It is completely dead. The batteries are fully charged. The controller is giving me a pre-charge failure and a shutdown error code.

I read that this means the B+ voltage is different than the KSU voltage? Is that correct? What did I do to cause this and what can I do to fix this?
Kolassus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 08:51 PM   #8
DanRoss
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

You should connect it to the main + and - of the battery pack, not to the controller.
DanRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 09:07 PM   #9
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRoss View Post
You should connect it to the main + and - of the battery pack, not to the controller.
If it's a Club Car with an On Board Computer, the negative input to the reducer should come from B- at the controller.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 08:01 AM   #10
DanRoss
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
If it's a Club Car with an On Board Computer, the negative input to the reducer should come from B- at the controller.
Thanks for correcting me.. As I try to learn more every day is there a reason why?
DanRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car