lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-15-2020, 09:36 PM   #21
Clubcarguy34
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Extending driving distance

Just a follow up on this.
Since I actually had a failed battery , Thus making the cart unusable, I decided to fold down the rear seat and lift the generator on to it and hook it up.

The results were great, the cart ran as expected, if I gave it full throttle the generator would rev and I would go. Putting along didn’t use much generator at all.

I have a video coming soon.

Since I have one dead battery I decided to get the Nissan Leaf packs
And do the lithium upgrade.

I went the cheap route and got the gen 1s , I only need to go a few miles each day, so hopefully the packs at 60% will be enough.

Does anyone have any max distance on the 7 pack leaf?
Clubcarguy34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-16-2020, 06:44 AM   #22
yensidcamper
Getting Wild
Club Car

I just installed my 7 pack and I have a stock cart with rear seat installed. My wife riding with me and Charged to 56.7 volts my first run appears to give me about 15 miles when I get down to 50v. My route is fairly hilly. I’ll post more as I have time to drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yensidcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 08:56 AM   #23
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clubcarguy34 View Post
Just a follow up on this.
Since I actually had a failed battery , Thus making the cart unusable, I decided to fold down the rear seat and lift the generator on to it and hook it up.

The results were great, the cart ran as expected, if I gave it full throttle the generator would rev and I would go. Putting along didn’t use much generator at all.

I have a video coming soon.

Since I have one dead battery I decided to get the Nissan Leaf packs
And do the lithium upgrade.

I went the cheap route and got the gen 1s , I only need to go a few miles each day, so hopefully the packs at 60% will be enough.

Does anyone have any max distance on the 7 pack leaf?
Very interesting concept of small generator charging DC pack while underway!

I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I bet a BMS unit in a lithium pack won't like it though. An old fashioned "dumb" FLA bank though, different story - cool concept. Thanks for posting on it!
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 09:11 AM   #24
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

FYI. EZGO did this back about 2011 or so. Put a generator in the bag well and made a nice cover etc to make it look "professional". Had an external fuel filler like a car. They did this in the RXV and 2Five models as an option. Both AC motored. The carts were called "Exceed". Would charge while driving or while parked. They claimed 150 mile range was possible.
Best I can recall they were expensive and had some glitches. Didn't sell well at all. Don't recall when they gave up on them but they weren't available for long.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 09:35 AM   #25
PearlPack
Getting Wild
Club Car

I have a 2012 Precedent and recently bought the Allied Lithium batteries in order to get more distance. 15 miles just wasnt enough for me...particularly when I'm at the beach.

Gas isn't allowed in my subdivision at home....but I wanted the distance when I take my cart to the beach.

They are pricey ....80ah.....but they give me 35miles easily and they charge back up pretty quickly.
PearlPack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 10:08 AM   #26
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
FYI. EZGO did this back about 2011 or so. Put a generator in the bag well and made a nice cover etc to make it look "professional". Had an external fuel filler like a car. They did this in the RXV and 2Five models as an option. Both AC motored. The carts were called "Exceed". Would charge while driving or while parked. They claimed 150 mile range was possible.
Best I can recall they were expensive and had some glitches. Didn't sell well at all. Don't recall when they gave up on them but they weren't available for long.
Interesting concept for those who need long range between charging opportunities. Essentially a plug-in hybrid approach to golf carts.

I think a specialized BMS would be required to combine this approach with lithium though - somebody like Sergio could elaborate on it I'm sure.
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 05:17 PM   #27
Clubcarguy34
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by yensidcamper View Post
I just installed my 7 pack and I have a stock cart with rear seat installed. My wife riding with me and Charged to 56.7 volts my first run appears to give me about 15 miles when I get down to 50v. My route is fairly hilly. I’ll post more as I have time to drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info on the mileage, I’d be happy with 15 miles out of a 7 pack. They should be in next week, I’ll report back
Clubcarguy34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 10:49 AM   #28
StumpNocker
Gone Wild

Club Car

Not to derail, but, is 15 miles around average on a 48v series cart?
StumpNocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:05 AM   #29
StumpNocker
Gone Wild

Club Car

Guess I derailed it...
StumpNocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:55 AM   #30
PearlPack
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNocker View Post
Guess I derailed it...
I was lucky to get that....and that was going below 50% which kills the FLA batteries.

With the Lithiums, I can discharge way past 50% and not hurt them.
PearlPack is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car